Friday, October 1, 2010

Choir

As a senior in high school I performed in a musical play, "The Visitor," presented by the choir. Upon reviewing the school newspaper, "Trojan Times," I see that our columnist, "The Rover," did not fail to take a few swipes at us. I am not surprised as that was the tone of her writing most of the time. Carolina Gonzales says, "If my guess is right, the voices of the performers will go higher and higher and higher but be careful, if they go too high they might get fly away... "

Well, I was one of those voices, a soloist in fact, and her comment sounds almost like a warning that I should not set my aspirations too high. Sure, I must be realistic about my vocal prospects. Just one voice of criticism is not going to make me or break me but an avalanche of negativity certainly would derail any future career prospects in that field.

Nevertheless, it is also true that Carolina's column was characteristically negative about pretty much everything and, besides, people who live in glass houses should not be so eager to throw stones. Your writing voice is just as important as the written word and mightier than the sword, as some writers have said, and should be cultivated toward positive and constructive ends, not merely to shower with bitterness and resentment the ones you fear might outshine you.

To summarize: Your voice stinks.