Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Senior Wills

Wow! That was so mean of Mr. Bosworth to take my senior will so personally. One imagines in writing one's senior will that, when all the other stupid jokes in there are also excused, that one's own senior will will be equally excused on the grounds of stupid tradition inherited from past years. Obviously it is not a legally binding document. I cannot quite recall what I was thinking at the time, perhaps just copycatting some other wills that I helped to type, but one imagines that a mature and elderly teacher might pause to reflect on the fate of the little red-headed, freckle-faced girl who has no "Linus" to challenge her cause. I am only speculating now what other people may have construed from that because, really, for me it was not that complicated. I had to put something in there to fill the space. Sure, in fifth grade, the one year I attended the Escuela Americana before returning to MK school, I did join the band and learned clarinet. However, I was very lousy on clarinet, could not hit the high notes, I learned later my lips are not shaped right for clarinet, so when I returned there for high school I did not resume band. It just would not matter. I could work on clarinet playing for hours and hours night and day and still be lousy so it would be pointless to even try. Thus, we leave the clarinet to those band members whose natural aptitudes equip them for such a trying ordeal as clarinet lessons. Thus, it is bizarre that Thomas "Trumpet" Hills would make this huge case about me being jealous of Bevy Ochoa, a star clarinetist of the band. Really, Thomas. Get real! It would also bizarre for people to make a huge case about the band's production of the "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" high school musical production whose featured singers were chosen exclusively from among band members. Sure, Trina "Clarinet" Tinker had a starring role as "Lucy Van Pelt" to Amadeo "Trombone" Cortez's "Charlie Brown." Trina's brother Tim "Bells" Tinker did a great job as "Snoopy." There was a very nice article for the "Trojan Times" describing the production for the program which I recall attending although I cannot recall whether I wrote the story. Trina's boyfriend Leland Bement played the role of "Linus" although his instrument is not noted in the article. So, yes, a vivid imagination has a lot to play with in this production lineup, not that I would know anything about it.