Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Alanna

Yes, I do feel sorry for Alanna although she really is too weird. I remember she called me and was telling me all of her stuff and she was talking about how the Popineaus are so fascinated with Jimmy Swaggart. I said it really sort of bothered me that they were pointing people to a man, a televangelist, rather than to Jesus. I told Alanna about a conversation years earlier when my mother was ironing clothes and we were watching TV and Jimmy Swaggart was on and he was in tears and ranting and raving on this point: "Mothers, tell your daughters not to wear shorts!" He was really writhing in agony on this point and my mother said to me, "He has a problem." She thought it was just abnormal for him to get so worked and foaming and frothing at the mouth on such a topic. And so I related this conversation to Alanna with the thought that, really, persons should not put too much emphasis on these televangelists. They are always saying all this stuff but our personal relationship should be with Jesus so that whatever happens out there in television land, it will not affect our personal relationship as a believer in Christ because, really, these guys, you just don't know, they are always saying all this stuff. And this conversation with Alanna happened long before we really knew that Jimmy Swaggart really did have a problem. I thought it was just something my mother said.