Friday, November 12, 2010

Christian Schools

During the time that my family was in El Salvador as missionaries I remember that another missionary there, John Bueno, set up a system of Christian schools. No missionaries in El Salvador itself were opposed to this Christian school system. There was an element within the denominational organization back in the U.S. that initially was opposing that but it wasn't us. We really did not have a problem with that as long as the school system remained a separate organization from the church itself. The school system has its own organization even if some of the schools operate in borrowed church buildings. Some poor children might never have an education or learn how to read and write if not for those Christian schools so it may be a good thing as long as it does not interfere with the mission of the church. I do not remember much about the controversy surrounding its creation or who the people were who were so opposed to that. There are those who would prefer that the church not get involved in parachurch ministries such as school systems but I do not know too much about that. Each country does things differently and even among the missionaries each one does something a little different. During high school I worked as a translator for the schools. I translated the children's letters to their sponsors from Spanish to English. Those were cute little letters. Children say the funniest things sometimes. So I really do not understand all this commotion, all this mock drama trying to cast us as the opposition to their school system. It just wasn't like that. They must have us confused with someone else. Like I said, there are those who oppose that but it really wasn't us. I don't know who they were.