Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Labor Unions

Yes, I really do not understand all this yammering about labor unions. I am not ignorant of their existence but I have never worked in a profession that required membership in a labor union per se and am not acquainted with anyone who belongs to one. I vaguely remember that when I worked at South Florida Newspaper Network some of us were invited to lunch with some people who turned out to be representatives of a union and invited us to consider creating a union at our company. I never saw those people again and did not return to the second meeting with them so do not know if anyone pursued that option further. I personally was not interested in the creation of a union. There are plenty of professional associations of a voluntary nature so I see no need for unions. Interestingly, our publisher Bruce Warshal was previously a labor attorney and prominent in the civil rights movement which was sort of interesting to learn. I do not know very  much about that but Jeff Perlman or Andy Polin probably do. You could always ask them about labor unions.