Thursday, November 3, 2011

Interview

I am vaguely remembering that at the time I was studying journalism I interviewed someone who was working in journalism as an intern or else maybe full time for that famous columnist Pat Buchanan. I cannot remember what her name was. I am not sure whether I still have the article I wrote or whether it was published or not in the Standard. Maybe someday I will have time to go through all the stuff and locate the item and figure out what it was. I think that the idea came from Cheryl who at least knew of her because otherwise I was not aware of her existence. Maybe Cheryl would remember her name. So I called her and she talked about her job and what she does and things like that. She mentioned that she was being teased and/or harassed by Pat Buchanan, I am not sure which. They were doing a show on harassment and also joking about the subject behind the scenes precisely at the moment that I was talking to her on the telephone. She seemed to think this was funny. I am not the police so not sure whether that would be something to report or just extraneous background noise. There was of course, as always, the temptation to do the kitchen sink story and dump every detail of the interview, the entire contents of the reporter's notebook, into the story but I did not do that. I was not exactly sure what to do with the harassment thing. To include the harassment thing in the story would take my story into a whole other direction not foreseen or planned by me. This was a story about journalism and the things that people do in the world of journalism in their careers as journalists, not about harassment which is not included in the prescribed job duties of journalism as far as I can tell. So I did my homework assignment and have nothing else to say about that. I personally would be leery of applying for a job working for those Irish Catholic bulldogs of New York, especially after my experience working with Pat Buchanan, so obviously I did not take that any further.