Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I do remember while reading great-grandmother's diaries, seeing only a handful of references to me, including something about us, my sister and I, always being accompanied by our maid. That was in 1970, when we were in the U.S. on furlough, and she is referring to that Mexican woman who had come to the United States to visit us because she had been our maid during the year that we lived in Guadalajara while my parents were in language school. Sometimes these Mexicans are like leaches that attach themselves and it is hard to shake them off. At the same time she rhapsodizes on the subject of the Butterfield cousins. The Mexican maid is described as have played at the game table with them. But anyway, really, who cares what the diaries say? She led a simple life and we understand that. But she has been dead for quite a while now and there was no law requiring me to fund the Mexican maid's reentry to the United States. As far as I am concerned, these people are just on their own. All I am going to say is that they should not be expecting me to fund that. It's just a game they play hoping that they can use us for their own advantage without ever giving us a break.