Friday, October 28, 2011

Orlando

I only vaguely remember seeing Tony Orlando & Dawn on television maybe once or twice, maybe in reruns if I am not only dreaming that I ever saw them on television, and that probably only after seeing them spoofed at a college talent show. I do remember reading an article in Time magazine about Tony Orlando and Dawn and their rise to fame but we did not have that show on television in El Salvador (I suppose they just can't squeeze in all that U.S. stuff when there are so many other Mexican, Venezuelan and other Latin American TV shows all competing for time in a country with only three television channels at the time). I have no clue why they would choose to spoof Tony Orlando & Dawn at a Christian college talent show. I personally am not interested in that kind of variety show where the stars are always poking each other and that is supposed to be funny but it's really not. We are supposed to laugh but they already have a laugh track anyway so it is not important to ask whether anyone gets it. Yes, humor of the 1970s was the pits, not that I would remember not having been here at the time but those 1970s always look so stupid in reruns so I probably did not miss anything important in terms of U.S. television of the 1970s.