Thursday, October 27, 2011

Protestants vs. Protesters

I never was one of those protesters who spent time in jail after picketing on the street outside abortion clinics and yet I am a Protestant. I am not saying that I disagree with pro-lifers. In fact I agree but the street protest thing is not my cup of tea. Anyway, Molly was the one who talked often about her street protest picketing and other radical activities, in case Machelle forgot. I think she is very brave for doing that and for being willing to go to jail and possibly get labeled with a criminal rap sheet for life just to express her opinion on that particular subject matter. However, I personally am not that brave, I must confess. There is only so far one can go in polite society in terms of expressing one's opinion on certain matters and to go any farther would be counterproductive and invite recriminations even if one's opinion is right. At the end of the day we all have to get along even if we don't always agree on every subject matter. But perhaps civil society is not the appropriate place to discuss these matters anyway. Tools of art and war are sometimes called upon to help redirect the ship of state gone adrift. A good alternative to street protests is always better in my opinion.