Tuesday, May 22, 2012

1977 Diary Tidbits Part 2

July 1: "About 3 PM Julia and I left for Suzanne’s where we found Murlene and all six children and their Dad, Lynette and Jeffrey and most of Audrey’s family. When we all got together all but seven of Julia’s family were there. " (Murlene has 8 or 9 children total, not just six, including .  )
July 4: "Julia had arranged for all the folks to go to the mountains for a picnic, then changed her mind when she considered the altitude and the dangerous curving roads, etc., etc. Besides, her leg was hurting and too tired." 
July 7: "I didn’t go to women’s meeting and am disappointed. It is the only time I can communicate with our church women." 
July 12: "About 4 Julia invited me along to take the man who had brot her car from the shop where it had been fixed."
July 24: "About noon off to Balboa Park out in zoo area….It was so interesting to watch the people, especially the children, capering on the different playthings." 
July 25: "Suzanne came about 1 and about 3 she took me for a walk around the circle, my first. She took along wheelchair and I only rode the equivalent of width of one wide lot and my longest walk." July 29: "This is Joe’s last workday at his regular job so he is now retired. He came in to see us and seemed happy and free. After supper TV 7:30 to 8, then one game, some reading, then retiring."
Aug. 12: "Julia called from Vancouver. They start their boat trip to Alaska today. Got two cards from Vancouver." 
Aug. 16: "A long folding of card about the Buchart Gardens, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, from Julia."
Aug. 18: "Elna having third day off this week. I don’t understand all this but maybe I don’t need to." 
Aug. 19: "Got two cards from Julia, one from Juneau (Aug. 15) and on way to Kelalukan (Aug. 13). Foggy here all morning. could not see Oceanside." 
Aug. 23: "Worked on my tulip needlepoint. After lunch worked on my black affair. Walked again in carport, fuschia garden and patio."
Aug. 24: "Card from Julia dated last Monday. Will not be home for few days. I’ll look when I see her coming."
Aug. 25: "About 5:45 in came Julia, then Suzanne, then Audrey. We were so glad to see them. … Julia brot me a lovely bookmark souvenir from Alaska."
Sep. 5: "Audrey and Julia went shopping and I read a lot. Sue and Debby sorted and numbered photos taken in Alaska. I read Audrey’s diary of their trip….While at Suzanne’s arranged to start an afghan for Sue." 
Sep. 6: "Then we came to the plaza and Julia went to Penny’s to get a gift for Machell’s birthday party the 10th. Seemed like a long wait. "
Sep. 7: "Audrey invited us down tomorrow. She wants her mother to see Doctor down there and I am to bring my anagrams."
Sep. 14: "Watched TV 8 to 8:30. TV acted up and the pictures didn’t amount to much. Read newspaper. Soon bath and bed."
Sep. 15: "I learned that Miss Graner cannot be president anymore.  She has to care for Miss Ginn who is quite ill."
Sep. 20: "I read paper and started the book. Planned for announced TV but it fail to be the right program." 
Sep. 25: "Ralph brot Candi over at 9:30 and she went to church with Julia and I. After church we took her back to Esther’s, then did an errand and came home and stayed."
Oct. 2: "Ralph and Esther came by and took me to church and after to their home. Ariel and Evelyn came around 3, Julia around 5, and we six went to Bob’s for dinner on Ralph."
Oct. 7: "Worked on tulips all day in between necessary acts."
Oct. 14: "Around 4 Julia took me to Doctor Binder to have something removed from … also sprayed my back with something. Finish my tulips and started doing white part. Now I’ll have a game. Had one transogram game, both answers alike for first time. One game anagrams. Right won."
Oct. 20: "Esther’s back still hurting from her work with the plants that were given for the rummage sale. My lamp broke down so I can’t see to do much in my room.... He (Joe) said they finally got the needed papers and are now on their way to Hong Kong. Airline they had intended to use on strike so going via Honolulu and Japan. Dora’s birth had never been registered."
Oct. 21:  "Joe came and we visited in patio. I mentioned my broken lamp and (he) went in the house and fixed it in few minutes."
Oct. 23: "About 5 I had some bread and milk and we left for 6 o’clock service via Oceanside to get Carol, a cripple." 
Oct. 28: "Found a letter from Merle Gibson. Caught up on some reading, then did needlepoint until lunch."
Oct. 29: "Card from Joe and Dora from Hong Kong."
Nov. 4: "While at breakfast in came Audrey and Tina on their way to Columbia up north of Bakersfield going to get Debby’s things."
Nov. 8: "Dora brought me a gift of jade in Hong Kong, a pendant, and Joe fastened it on my gold chain."
Nov. 24: "Suzanne and Robert and Debby gone to Nevada. They are celebrating their marriage."
Dec. 1: "Our checks came and I am all in order, paid up to date….Read some finishing a book about Pat Boone and now I am ready to retire and hope I rest better than last nite."
Dec. 3: "Julia and Joe going to Ramona to some airplane doings….I found out the trip to Ramona was about airplanes for the missionaries."
Dec. 4: "Later came George, Audrey, and Tina gave me a wilted carnation lei from Hawaii a friend had given her. Audrey brot Chinese sponge cake from dinner they had, also candy."
Dec. 10: "Card and note from Gladys Wilson. She sent $2.00 for my birthday. So glad to get her address." 
Dec. 13: "Julia got home around 4 so I got to walk farther away since she could answer phone."
Dec. 23: "After supper one game anagrams, one game transograms, very difficult and had a Q and a Z left over."