Thursday, May 17, 2012

Diary Tidbits: Reading "Christy"

I only read the novel "Christy" by Catherine Marshall one time during high school so I do not remember very much about it. I also read a few other books by Catherine Marshall. So many books, so little time which is probably why I almost never read a book twice. Great-grandmother, however, apparently read the novel "Christy" at least three times that we know of so far so she really "owns" the prize for finishing the novel "Christy" more time than I ever would.

1969

February 15: "Just finished lunch when Mrs. … from next door came over with a letter to show the Colonel. Before she got away Suzanne came with beautiful red heart-shaped box of See’s candy. She visited until Julia returned from the hairdressers. Then she took me to Fordland and Mayfair and home. It is raining most of the way. After she left I vacuumed, finished reading “Christy.” Just before I finished supper Ralph came in few minutes and we had game of dominoes. I am coughing and sneezing too much."

1976

April 5: "Had a miserable nite, very little sleep. Couldn’t see the time even with my glasses and call Elna one-half hour too early. Rained in the nite. I wonder what this day will bring. Started to read a book named “Christy.” Very interesting."

April 6: "Slept from about 11 until near 5 this morning. Catnapped until went to bathroom. Been reading in the book “Christy,” life among the poor in Smoky Mountains. Mid-afternoon lost balance and fell down in middle of the bedroom but no bones broken but a strain that hurts when I walk."

April 7:
"Julia came by for me about 2 PM and took me to Doctor Curtin. He looked at my eyes and said was doing fine, no more drops and return in two weeks. Then we came home via Penny’s. Read in the book “Christy.” Had one game and off to bed around 10 PM."

April 8: "Julia took me to WMC at 10 and came for me at 12. Had a nap and a walk and read the “Christy” book. It is so interesting."

April 12: "Awake at 6:30. Up at 7+ after a good nite. Had a walk outside. Read most of the day. Finished the “Christy” book. One game after 8 PM."

Sep. 23: "Julia took me to WMC about 9:30 and came for me at 12. So glad I could go. After lunch I started to read a book entitled, “Christy” by Catherine Marshall. At page 26 I stopped reading and went for a nap.

Sep. 24:
"Breakfast just after 8. Read a lot in Bible, newspaper, and “Christy.” Took a walk. Nap before lunch."

Sep. 27: "Slept good. Wrote a letter to Norfolk, Va. Read the paper. Worked on dress unsuccessfully. Took a walk outside. Nap. Had one game after supper. Will own read in “Christy.” "

Oct. 1: "Breakfast 8:30. Had a walk in forenoon. Worked on green dress. Finished reading “Christy.” Read paper. Had a nap."