Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Diary Tidbits-December 1978

Dec. 3: "Julia very busy putting things together after the painting done Saturday."
Dec. 4: "At 4:30 took a walk to lagoon, saw an airplane going south. Later read evening paper and had one game, then read a chapter in an interesting book. Got to bed at 10:30."
Dec. 6: "Saw one copter and saw seven ships going south. Train went south but I did not see it, I was so interested in seeing the ships."
Dec. 8: "Spent the day with needlework and Christmas cards. Went out to lagoon, saw a train and a boat. So cold was glad to leave."
Dec. 9: "At an Air Force meeting and dinner Julia won a turkey. I spent the morning addressing cards so I have at least got started….Julia and friend Helen Lindsley went to Vista."
Dec. 11: "Went out to lagoon at 10. Beautiful, clear and warm. Saw one airplane, one train going south five minutes late, one going north. Worked on needlepoint, mostly ripping. I found I had made a big mistake to correct."
Dec. 12: "At 3 went for walk to lagoon, saw a helicopter but no train. I guess it was late but I was cold so came in."
Dec. 13: "Lettie and sister went away after supper, probably return Friday AM. I get so many pleas for help that I am unable to do. I wish I had lots of money to help those far worse off than I am."
Dec. 15: "Julia got me 40 cards at Base so I can finish my mailing activities but I lack some addresses. Addressed some and read paper, did puzzle and worked on the needlepoint."
Dec. 19: "Joe and Dora came in evening, another happy surprise for Dora seldom comes. Ralph worn out and in bed or they would have come."
Dec. 22: "Mrs. Gerrard our President of Women’s ministries, came with her granddaughter and brot me a beautiful crocheted blanket from the group."
Dec. 24: "Julia and I went to church and found out they had their Christmas program at 10 so we missed all of it. Merle and Lynda and girls came in evening and little later Ralph and Esther. So we had the evening together."
Dec. 25: "Bob Schmidt came for a while in evening and had supper with us."
Dec. 27: "After breakfast Julia helped me with a bath. I think was her first time. She is so pressed with things to do and care for me since Lettie is gone this week. She can’t find anyone to stay with me while she keeps an appointment."
Dec. 31: "After 8 AM and I don’t know what is for today. There is no one to stay with me and Julia needs to get typing done. Well? she gave up and I spent the morning reading and sleeping and coughing. So disappointed not to get to church this last day of 1978."
Special Data: "Been a wonderful year in many ways and I thank my Heavenly Father for the supply of all my needs. For the privilege of living in Julia’s home instead of among strangers."
Memo for Next Year: "The ten commandments in rhyme.
Thou no Gods shall have but me
Before no idol bow the knee
Take not the name of God in vain
Nor dare the Sabbath to profane
Give to thy parents honor due
Take heed that thou no murder do
Abstain from words and deeds unclean
Steal not for thou of God art seen
Tell not a willful lie nor love it
What is thy neighbors do not covet."