Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Diary Tidbits-October 1978

Oct. 1: "Did some errands and got to Mrs. Brasswell’s about 6. She served a delicious supper. I worked on a puzzle while Julia and her visited and we left before 9:30."
Oct. 2: "Dora as usual — drinking — they are planning to move to Sonora next year."
Oct. 3: "Went with Julia to the church to see and decide about the pictures we had taken two weeks (earlier) for the “book” to have pictures of all members. Just before supper had a walk up the road as far as neighbor’s mailbox." 
Oct. 4: "I know Lettie was way tired for she prepared most of the dinner. We visited until after 9 when those from San Diego left for home.
Oct. 6: "David will ship out in two or three weeks.
Oct. 7: "About 3:30 Lettie and I walked up the road to next house. She saw a lady at home who had loaned me books to read. I am thru with them and was waiting for chance to return them with thanks. Lettie offered to run back home and get them so we returned them to Mrs. Poppy." 
Oct. 8: "Julia took me to church on time and came for me at close of service. Our Orchestra leader and wife were missing. A woman, Carol Brooke, was the minister this morning." 
Oct. 10: "Lettie has been suffering with toothache so had it extracted."
Oct. 11: "Breakfast at usual time, shred wheat and strawberries, avocado on toast."
Oct. 13: "Wrote Underground to return check I forgot to sign." 
Oct. 14: "Julia at 9 AM took me to Joe’s and Lettie to bus….Joe was only home a little while. Queen and a 12-year-old Rick was there till noon, also the woman who lives in their apartment. The women drinking and two of them smoking."
Oct. 15: "Became acquainted with Roy Jenkins. He taught me a new game. Guests Bob Jenkins, his son Roy, Bob Hopper, Bob Schmidt, Grace, Suzanne, Hawaiian chicken dinner. Suzanne showed pictures of Brazil, Russia, Egypt, the Sudan. 15-year-old Roy went to sleep during the pictures. Bob Schmidt did not arrive until after 8 PM."
Oct. 16: "Supper over at 6:45. Now I’ll read Blade Tribune."
Oct. 17: "Egg, toast, bacon, potatoes and coffee at usual time….Sent away cupons and check to General Mills for Brahms butter knife….Prepared birthday card and letter for Elmer Babu, the letter to family. "
Oct. 18: "Esther and Ralph slopped in a few minutes on the way home from church."
Oct. 19: "Julia went for nap and I followed her example. Now if I could find my crochet hook I would start something. Since I can’t I’ll do some cutting up. Esther invited us over for dinner and Mrs. Henderson came while we were eating. Had not seen her for long time."
Oct. 20: "I fear I will not be able to crochet the afghan I planned for Suzanne. My left hand fingers refuse to do what they did last year so I’ll return to needlepoint for I must have something to do beside reading to save my eyesight….Almost 3 so I’ll watch the train go by….. Lettie was so good to put my owl on the frame for me ready to work."
Oct. 22: "Wanted to go for walk, couldn’t get the door open so guess I’ll read a while."
Oct. 25: "Card from Mary Olive and Eugene from Cape Cod, Mass….. Julia brot me a book from school about “Watchman Nee” (Chinese). I got into third chapter."
Oct. 27: "Then finished reading paper and had a miserable time with transograms. Made mistake and had to begin over. Did most of puzzle and now it is bedtime and I hope I sleep better than I did last nite. Letter from Virginia, sent picture of the children."
Oct. 28: "Had a 10-page letter from Evelyn. They had been gone to Moro Bay, is why I didn’t hear for so long….Now I’ll try to read again about Watchman Nee, a story of his life, a Chinese Christian. Made my list of November birthdays. Lettie had company from Fallbrook."
Oct. 31: "I got on my feet and went two steps, lost my balance and feel down and I couldn’t get up until called for help. So thankful that I was not hurt at all. Mailed booklet to Merle Gibson."