Thursday, May 24, 2012

1978 Diary Tidbits to June

Feb. 1: "Watched TV “Black Beauty,” not too interesting to me. Went to car doctor and was fitted with new aid. Hear a little better and no squeal."
Feb. 3: "About 7:20 started game of transograms when an annual picture came on TV and after that Black Beauty. While looking at that came Merle and he and Julia are at the table so I can’t finish. He left around 10 and I finished the game and hurried to bed."
Feb. 6: "In evening Merle and family came for dinner about 7 and Linda served what Julia left prepared. Linda cleaned everything to perfect order, then we had a game of anagrams. Linda won. It was a real treat to have someone to enjoy the game with."
Feb 7: "At 6 o’clock Julia took me to Miss Hazlett’s. I took my modern version Bible and read four chapters in 1 Corinthians. She was glad to hear it."
Feb. 9: "Miss Mannah here to get report about me. Everything settled for the year unless there is a change. Lettie our new housekeeper is doing very well. …. Julia had to go to court this morning. Has to see and listen to TV at 5 AM in the morning. Awful back east, so much snow and cold. Glad I live in California."
Feb. 10: "Joe came to see us in evening, bring a lot of oranges and nearly a quart of guava jam made from guavas growing on their property. The wind blew over the orange tree so he cut off the oranges and fastened the tree up straight."
Feb. 11: "At 4 Julia has a caller. He came around noon just before she got home from school, said he would return at 4 and he returned at 4 PM."
Feb. 13: "We went to the ear man and the eye man, were told my hearing is about gone, my glasses are not right, and all I can do is cry. Worked a while on quilt."
Feb. 26: "Julia and I went to church. In foyer had a table full of things ladies make on Thursdays. I heard noise but understood nothing."
Mar. 4: "About noon Linda and Heather stopped in for few minutes. Virginia and family started down here but car went wrong and they went back home. Hope they can come on a clear day. It rained hard today and the wind very strong."
Mar. 7: "A man came to fix roof to carport but didn’t seem to accomplish much. Someone came and took Julia out and I never got to go and vote. I had counted on voting and am disappointed."
Mar. 8: "Up and at it as usual….I am miserable without my right lens. After supper Julia went to Union Church to see pictures of Hong Kong and Macau."
Mar. 9: "I wore a white patch over right of my glasses so no one could see my eyes in different sizes."
Mar 9: "We had expected Suzanne here at noon but she phoned she would come tonite. It’s now 5:45 and she has not arrived. I took a nap and have been reading a lot and walked some inside. Men are working on the carport. Sun has shined today and also had a shower. The carport roof finished. Phone call said Audrey and Sue couldn’t come till tomorrow."
Mar. 10: "Some time after noon came Audrey and Susie. Susie on crutches with lame back….Julia is going out tonite and I presume Suzanne and I will play games. After all Sue didn’t want to sit up so didn’t play after all. I watched TV 7:30 to 8. Read a while and will go play alone as usual."
Mar. 14: "Julia came home and I retired and Joe went home. No peace there. He brot us a bag of oranges from his tree."
Mar. 17: "Lettie left before 8 PM, off Saturday and will slay (sic) with me Sunday."
Mar. 19: "Shortly after lunch Julia arrived from I don’t know where and around 4 took me for a ride along oceanfront from south to north. I enjoyed it not having out much lately."
Mar. 21: "Audrey and Tina coming for lunch. I am not to wear my hearing aid until my sore ear gets well. Awful to not hear. I’ll have to wear it while they are here….Last nite while Julia was away she had her money and important papers stolen. So today was gone, part of day attending to her trouble." 
Mar. 25: "Started on needlepoint but Julia wanted to go to the college and we went about 10 and both got a manicure and pedicure. Julia saw Bro. Webber there."
Mar. 26: "Left for San Diego church at 9:15. Drove by Gospel Tabernacle. Bro. Webber came down walk on our way and saw us drive by and waved. Church in S.D. good service. Out at 12."
Apr. 5: "Joe came before 1 PM to bring me a jar of molasses containing iron, says I am to take a teaspoonful every day and it will help me to feel good."
Apr. 6: "Finished March Digest. Had two games anagrams. Feel miserable."
Apr. 11: "I worked on needlepoint. Have to rip some and do it over because I did not do it right. Ripping it out is difficult but I have some reasons and difference in appearance is well worth the trouble."
Apr. 12: "Stopped in middle to eat, then about 2 came piano tuner who is also one of the school teachers where she went to school. Mr. McGill. We left him tuning and went to Senior Center and had our blood pressure taken, then back home where I did needlepoint until too dark."
Apr. 15: "Had trouble with Clay. He ran away and police found him in South Carolina."
Apr. 16: "Bro. Webber used three umbrellas to demonstrate his sermon, “God’s plan for blessings.” Spent most of remainder of day reading."
Apr. 23: "Dan ask if I wanted a walk. I said I love it so we went out to the lagoon and sat down. Soon saw two planes and a freight train go south. David picked flowers and put them in my hair to appear like a crown."
Apr. 27: "Julia had her kitchen phone moved to a better location so is out of the way of the table at mealtime."
May 5: "Ralph and Esther came and Ralph mended the hole where telephone was removed."
May 23: "Julia bought me eight underalls. I don’t’ have to pay tax when she gets them at Base."
May 26: "Had early lunch, then went to Wild Animal Park over beyond Escondido. They had many additions since I was there over five years ago. Another five hours in wheelchair over rough pavement get rather uncomfortable."
May 28: "Then they all left to go to Presbyterian Church so Lettie and I am alone a while….. They took our pictures and the Bates family left for Santa Barbara, their next stop."
May 31: "Having trouble with new refrigerator, a man here this afternoon to fix it."
June 1: "Check came, also letter from David and one from Alice Kugler Sheets."
June 9: "Breakfast at 8. Went to lagoon at 10, saw three-car train going north and a nine-car train going south. Cut up stuffing and did some reading."
June 14: "Everything moving earlier this morning. Prepared mail and usual reading."
June 20: "A man from Underground Evangelism called to see if I wanted to invest and live on interest. I told him I had nothing."
June 23: "The advertised TV failed to appear. I read the paper, did the puzzle and now plan a game of anagrams. Julia gone to singles meeting at church."
June 25: "After supper I lost balance and fell over backwards between table and couch, in great pain all nit."
June 26: "Awake with pain all nite. I am going for X-ray this morning. I had the X-ray and one of my ribs is broken by yesterday’s fall. Got home from emergency about 2, ate lunch and layed down and had a nap but still feel sort of do-less."
June 27: "Lettie was displeased with me because I wouldn’t go to bed until 10 and shut the bedroom door when she left ,so I was shut off from the rest of the house. However I feel better."
June 28: "Joe came in for a while. Good to see him. Learned that those friends from the Philippines are still with them."
June 30: "Julia’s friend came to take her out for evening, caught me sitting on couch in my nitegown. He was male nurse in Navy so he understands. Letter from Eugene Hunt. They don’t plan to come on furlo until ’79. Wonder if I will be here to see them."