Thursday, May 31, 2012

Diary Tidbits-January 1979

Jan. 4: "Did needlepoint. Letty’s day off."
Jan. 9: "I am feeling so — much better and am so thankful….Had a nap, also a walk up the road. I seem so weak but keep on trying. No one came today….I am living in hopes for Thursday. We shall see. Cough gone but am so weak."
Jan. 10: "Breakfast over at 8:30 and I feel just about normal and am so thankful. God is faithful."
Jan. 11 (Thursday): "No women’s meeting so I was disappointed. Are having seminars the rest of this month."
Jan. 12: "Out to lagoon at 3. No train, bus or plane."
Jan. 13: "Had walk at wrong time, nothing to see unusual."
Jan. 14: "Here we are two weeks into the new year. “Time waits for no man.” — or woman."
Jan. 15: "Letty phoned would not arrive until 10 so Ralph came over so I won’t be alone since Julia has to leave before 10 for school."
Jan. 16: "Julia up and off to Base before I was dressed….Am hoping to go somewhere Thursday if it don’t rain….Joe phoned he would be over but did not come."
Jan. 17: "Ralph and Esther for evening dinner, then Julia and them went to Union church to see picture and talk on Hawaii. I would have gone if I could hear."
Jan. 18 (Thursday): In afternoon he took Esther to Flower Hill, left her there and went to San Marcos via … where I saw many acacia trees in full bloom. It poured rain most of the trip."
Jan. 19: "Moving everything movable preparing for carpet cleaners arriving at 1 PM….reading a book titled, “The happiest people on earth.”"
Jan. 20: "Letty left bag and baggage, said she’s quitting."
Jan. 23: "Joe came for me around 9 and brot me home here at 8:30 PM. Did all I can to the owl until we find lost papers loaned to Esther. Had a lot of time on my hands today."
Jan. 24: "Julia took me to Joe’s mid morning. Dora prepared my needlework and I started to do it, made mistake and had to rip. Started again in wrong place. It is a difficult piece of work."
Jan. 27: "Julia tried all day to get the woman who came yesterday looking for a job. Finally contacted her but she was already hired. She must not have been Mrs. “right.”
Jan. 28: "Julia stayed home all day but no one called about the job. This evening one called but she smokes so she wouldn’t do."
Jan. 29: "A woman answered ad and came to see. Julia engaged her to arrive at 10 tomorrow. She brot her male friend in and introduced him. Julia and I feel a bit uncertain about her but need someone so badly. So we will see."
Jan. 30: "New help? Came at 10 AM. My bedtime 10 PM and she is not here so I don’t know what next."
Jan. 31: "Julia up at 7, came into my room to say the woman never came back nor did we hear from her. Julia gave me bath in mid morning and helped me dress. After some reading I cut up stuffing and more reading. It’s after 2 PM and have heard nothing from the hired woman so we don’t know what has happened. Letty came for her check about 3 and when she left we went to Fedmart, also to fish and chips store. Letty semed glad to see me. She also apologized for her behavior the 20th. After supper read newspapers, then started game. Stopped a while for TV, then finished it and now bedtime."