Thursday, May 24, 2012

Diary Tidbits - September 1978

Sep. 1: "Esther slopped in about 11….Had four games with Lettie. She won all of them (Chinese checkers). After I was abed Lettie said if you want it I’ll give you bath so I got up and had the bath."
Sep. 2: "…here was Ralph, Esther, Rene & … Calkins waiting for us. They were on their way taking the girls to the Costa Mesa college to be there for some doings at 6 o’clock so could not come in, just stopped by to say hello and goodbye."
Sep. 3: "Then Grace came and Julia took us to dinner in Oceanside to a place so dark I could not see what I was eating. Neither did I recognize it by taste." 
Sep. 5: "Played checkers with Lettie. She won all the games. Read papers and did puzzle after supper. To bed at 9:30."
Sep. 7: "Julia put dinner on oven, on that she turned on the electricity. At dinnertime when she went to serve it was not ready so we had dinner at 8+ instead of 6. Esther stayed to sew. They are gone now and it’s bedtime."
Sep. 8: "...did a little cutting of stuffing until Julia invited me to go to the Vons area with her. I went and worked on a puzzle while waiting for her to shop." 
Sep. 15: "I looked around and here stood Audrey and Michelle. We had a nice visit but she could not stay long. She was on her way to Costa Mesa to take some things to Chris and had another errand also."
Sep. 21: "Julia took me to women’s meeting before 10 and came for me before 2. We took Mrs. Fowler home to Oceanside, then went on errands to Lions Medial Center and one other and got home around 4. Our president gone on trip, someone said Japan, so Sis. Hutson officiated at the afternoon meeting. Harold Calkins arrived before noon and spoke to us for over half an hour between 1 & 2. I could not understand but was glad for the others to hear. Letter to Julia from Mrs. Nelson invited us to visit her when possible."
Sep. 23: "Ralph slopped by for few minutes. Weather warm. Nothing to write….Lettie’s birthday tomorrow. Julia gave her several gifts and I gave her a little cash. She appeared very surprised and happy." 
Sep. 26: "Sue came home shortly after noon, let the pupils out because of the heat."
Sep. 29: "My morning reading over so I’ll get to work. Have some cutting to do, also crochet a sample. I find that to crochet is not as easy as two months ago. Don’t know if I will be able to do the afghan for Suzanne as I had planned. Too bad they lost the book with instructions. I would have had it half done by now. But maybe — we’ll see." 
Sep. 30: "Julia took me for a ride to Buddy Todd park where a group were gathered for a picnic. I enjoyed all of it. We stayed about half an hour and now we are home at 5:10….David just telephoned he is back from the ship and will visit us next week, Wednesday."