Friday, April 1, 2011

The Chinese Opposition

In 1925 we learn that the New Thought Movement is posing a serious challenge to Christianity in China. "Many who have been abroad have come back having seen the worst side of Christendom. The foundations of faith have been shaken," says our guide, Mr. Zia, describing the organized opposition to Christianity in China. Yes, there are plenty of so-called Christians who don't have a clue. A poem titled "Amen" published in the Weekly Review is no trite devotional. Written by Mr. Tai Tien Chou, it calls for the abolition of the Christian Church and of Christianity. The "Vanguard" magazine has published the manifesto of the Anti-Christian Student Federation, including the names of its constituent organizations. The Federation argues that (1) science and Christianity are incompatible and (2) that Christianity as a tool of imperialism and capitalism is a means of oppressing weaker nations.

Yes, we are not unaware of these challenges to our faith. China's unsaved masses are not unique in opposing the true faith which is the Christian faith. But like so many others foes of the cross throughout the course of human history your resistance is meaningless. There is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death. You can oppose the cross but you will be sorry later. If you embrace the cross now then you will be with us in heaven but if you will not accept Christ as the only hope of salvation then, well, we can't promise you anything in terms of riches and wealth. Basically, you may well have a very good life as a mother of lots of children here on earth and yet roast later because we are not talking about earthly things. Silver and gold have I none, to quote the apostle. But such as we have we give to you. We are talking about spiritual things that you cannot understand without spiritual eyes to see and spiritual ears to hear.

You can't squeeze a whole lot of spiritual truth from a peculiar cultural artifact such as the China yearbook, the product as it is of a certain time and set of circumstances. You have to look to the true source of this Christian hope of which we speak. This is found only in the pages of the Bible. Here is how the Apostle Paul explains the human dilemma in the New Testament, Romans 7:

  • 14. We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.
  • 15. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
  • 16. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
  • 17. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
  • 18. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
  • 19. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing.
  • 20. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
  • 21. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
  • 22. For in my inner being I delight in God's law;
  • 23. but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
  • 24. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
  • 25. Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.