Monday, April 11, 2011

Jim Linzey's Autobiography

A Divine Appointment in Washington D.C.
Jim Linzey's book
A Divine Appointment in Washington D.C.

Here is another autobiography but I have not read this book. Yes, who knew that Jim Linzey would go on to be a famous army chaplain and write his autobiography after bombing so badly in college. Dauna told me something about it. I suppose it goes to show that you just never know about people. I once even had a date with Jim Linzey. Below, here are some of us in the college dorm vamping before the Christmas banquet. So I had to spend the whole evening listening to Jim Linzey yap endlessly about himself, as if he even cared about me. I was maybe fourth or fifth on his list, his other choices having turned him down, and I was the one who said yes because, silly me, at the time I thought he liked me. That was before Dauna broke the news to me that actually several other girls were his top choices, including Dauna herself, but they all turned him down and I was only a last resort . So I should be humble and not get any ideas about Jim Linzey liking me. No, it does not work that way. It is just all about Jim.

At left: Me, Heather, Gloria, Lisa

So how did Jim bomb in college? I personally only witnessed his bombings of the musical variety. But Dauna told me that early in his time at SCC he used the "M" word in a conversation with a girl and she absolutely blackballed him socially. She told a lot of other girls and they all spread the word about what a geeky weirdo he was. I got the news from Dauna much later. It does seem sort of weird that he would use that word in a personal conversation. He did not use this word with me but probably he had already learned his lesson by that time. I imagine that he probably did not mention that incident in his own book. It is not something to talk about with girls, obviously. No, Jim does not strike me as a Frank. As for who the girls were who organized the social ostracism of Jim, I really do not remember. I am sure that Dauna knows all about that. You could always ask Dauna.