Monday, March 18, 2013

More about bread

Jesus said: "I am the bread of life." This Bible verse, if I remember rightly, was at one time engraved or somehow emblazoned on the wall at church, the Evangelistic Center, where my family attended Sunday mornings during most of the time that we were in El Salvador. Also, my Dad and sister and I once or twice sang in a trio the song, "Fill My Cup, Lord," which includes the words: "Bread of heaven feed me till I want no more" music that my Dad got from somewhere. Obviously these references were not advertisements for the Mennonite Bread Company. These were allegorical references to the spiritual bread which is the Word of God which feeds the soul. Only an idiot, a spiritually dead idiot, would try to make something else out of that.

There are those who want to make points about feeding programs and, well, they are entitled to their opinions. However, I personally do not feel called to that type of cooking ministry. I like to eat bread but I never had much luck or patience with yeast and how it rises over time and all that. I mostly leave the bread baking to the cooks who have studied recipes and know how that works.