Saturday, March 2, 2013

Which Reminds Me

I seem to remember in digging around noticing that my Dad's Uncle Ariel married Evelyn who was a Scandinavian from Iowa. I don't know, maybe that's why that branch of the family is so utterly arrogant and snooty to the rest of us even though we didn't do anything to them. Just because I was once mentioned in the diaries at about age 5 or so, that does not mean that I am still sitting there as described in the diaries. Yes, after Uncle Ariel is gone there won't be any reason to be hearing from them. Only recently did I read the diaries and found a kazillion reference to Evelyn whenever great-grandmother would travel to Pasadena to visit them once or twice a year. She seems to have spent quite a bit of time there playing anagrams. I really don't know them but really they sound like regular people like everybody else so there really was no reason for Danny to get all worked up on his high horse about every little thing. But I suppose if we are playing the compare and contrast game they do sort of look better than some of the other relatives who are doing so pathetically bad, if you want to feel better that way. At least some of us still go to church on Sundays and have an idea about what is in the Bible and that sort of thing. I can't really say that about some of my relatives. They are just out there thinking that being "good" for their own sake is good enough even though they just ain't that "good." Of course nobody really is good but at least some of us are aware that we can't make it without God's help. That is sort of the difference between us and them.