Sunday, March 24, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Years ago we did a double date, Susie Stewart and I, with two guys with missionary connections, Ben Mercado's son, what's-his-name, an organist in the Chicago area, and the Kirsten's son, I think his name was Phil, a scientist in Wisconsin. So maybe we went bowling or something, I don't remember exactly. Later I was a bit perturbed because Susie said that the Mercados were upset that I was not inviting their son over to my house or out to do more things so that we could get better acquainted and he would have more things to do while visiting his parents on vacation. I don't know why I didn't do more about that, something about the way he never really asked me after the double date and also there was not much interest. So that was so snarky of the Mercados to try to make an issue out of that and make me feel guilty about what I did not do for them and yet they are from Argentina, so we understand how they are. It is so typical of Argentina to make everybody feel like we work for them and imperiously boss everyone around and tell everybody what to do. As if I would want the Mercados appearing at my house and going through my personal things. Yuk! I never really liked the Mercados that much. I mean, I tried to be friendly to those snarky people and yet I always get the message somehow that they are out there behind my back poking and prodding with their little knives. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to have the Mercados in my actual family? I shudder to think of it. Interestingly, I recently learned that Murlene's youngest daughter is married to some guy named Walter Mercado. I wonder if there is a connection to the Ben Mercado family. I would ask but I really don't care. The Hiatts are not that close to us anyway so obviously it is not about them.