Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Copyright Permissions

I remember that while I was at Regent University a Christian newspaper in Atlanta, Georgia, reprinted my article from the student newspaper without asking for permission. At least they attached my name to it which was nice. I felt sort of flattered that they had liked my article enough to reprint it. Nevertheless, our editor in chief Katherine Pyle was appalled that they would reprint our stuff without asking for permission. She wrote a huge legal treatise on the subject and addressed this to the Atlanta newspaperman. I was asked to sign on to that so I did because back in those days I tended to imagine that editor knows best. However, knowing what I know now, I tend to think that Katherine perhaps overreacted a little bit. Sometimes it is better to exhaust more diplomatic tactics first and reserve legal action for the measure of last resort rather than burn all one's bridges in advance. That's my opinion but no one really asked me.