Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Talent Show Issues

Yes, I vaguely remember in college there was a talent show of which I remember very little. I don't really know those people. Just because we attended the same college, that does not mean that we were ever part of the same social circle. They already had their clique and no time or inclination to include other people like me. So just because I observed Ron Aguilera and Sharon Whetstone doing their Sonny and Cher act, that does not mean that I ever met them in real life. I fulfilled my assigned role singing in the choir and there is nothing more to tell about the talent show other than what Lynda said.
  • Lynda said that Ron is from Riverside and that is all I know about him. I do remember driving through the rugged terrain outside of Riverside and seeing many large rocks on which people have engraved all kinds of graffiti. However, we never paused to ponder the significance of "Kilroy was here" and similar messages. We have other place to go and other things to do so. I imagine that someone will do that but it's not my job.
  • Lynda said that there was a lawyer in the audience who created a huge fuss about copyright issues. Admission was charged and yet they had not paid a fee to the agency that collects artist royalties, ASCAP or something like that, to make sure they are legally entitled to be singing all those copyrighted songs borrowed from TV and radio. I don't really remember hearing how that was resolved, just that there was some kind of fuss about it. I was never involved in organizing the talent show so I really don't know anything about that.