Sunday, January 22, 2012

Doc?

I don't remember ever meeting my uncle but I did know my cousins and I feel sorry for them. They are so ignorant and yet completely unaware of their own ignorance. Although their Dad was nicknamed 'Doc' he was not really a doctor, only a dentist. Of course, when one is trying to keep the peace among family members one is unable or extremely reluctant to describe these relatives in full detail, not that I would know anything about Doc. It's just that the evidence would suggest that nothing of value can be ascertained from exploring the Doc connections or trying to tell them anything. They have to figure it out for themselves because they won't take it from me, obviously. My Andrews cousins, bless their pathetic little hearts, spent way too much time reading books about how Martians built the Egyptian pyramids and other bizarre and unexplainable theories of science fiction. Yes, I enjoyed watching the occasional episode of Star Trek and Wild Wild West together with them but Ray Bradbury had a lot of problems. "Chariots of the Gods: Unsolved Mysteries of the Past" by Erich von Daniken is not a book that I actually remember reading. I do remember listening to David talk about it maybe and saw the movie. So while the Andrews cousins might have some good things to say about dental care, it is not like they would have a clue about reality just because they all happened to live in the Bay Area at about the same time. My Dad was the ordained minister, not Doc, so obviously my Dad would know a lot more about Christianity than Doc, not that we are trying to stage a contest on this point. It's just that you are not going to reach heaven by flying saucer. Life is short. Make your peace with God while you can because it won't be long.