Monday, January 9, 2012

Strange Theories

Yes, one might reasonably wonder if Mrs. Studdert's shocking public revelation from her single days as a missionary in China would have any negative repercussions in her later adult married life after returning to her native Britain. One might also imagine that meddlesome voyeurs might appropriate the letter and twist it and use it to serve other purposes not originally intended by Mrs. Studdert, not that I would know anything about that. Nevertheless, she seems to have married as planned and had three sons as listed in the online peerage so perhaps she was a wealthy person. Nevertheless, this letter is of not much use to me as this is not among my research interests. I might have read articles about this in Sunday School literature or Christian magazines or somewhere. Also, I am not unaware that there are some professional academics who devote much of their time to developing queer theories about the possible secret sex sins of Christian missionaries working in China in days of old. However, I personally am not interested in pursuing this line of thought or in having any book or term paper written on this subject with my name on it. They must have me confused with someone else. All I can say is that although there might have been such anomalous cases in the field unbeknownst to the majority, still these are dysfunctional cases and not representative of the majority of missionaries in the field whether single or married. I am personally not interested in focusing on these dysfunctional cases that serve only as distractions to the central truth of the gospel and the actual purpose of the Christian mission to China which is mainly to preach the gospel and to build up a local church where none previously existed.