Sunday, January 1, 2012

Joseph

Oh, did I ever mention that I never know of the existence of General Joseph Stilwell until very recently? I must admit that I was never a student of the politics and history of China and never had a clue about who all those military people were in World War II nor did ever have much interest. It is not like Chinese culture ever interested me in the slightest with all their shrieky weird fingernails-on-a-blackboard music and strangeness. I only know that my great-grandparents were there for a while but not as military people. If their missionary experience was anything like ours, they probably never saw a U.S. military person their entire time overseas and never thought about that very much. There is not much connection between missionary and military. We might sing that song, "Onward Christian Soldiers," but the only purpose that mattered to us was the Great Commission. Military is a whole different matter and not something with which we should concern ourselves, as the military so often is fond of reminding us.