Saturday, January 28, 2012

On Stephen Speirs Craig

Who is this Stephen Speirs Craig who wrote for Trust magazine in 1910 and 1911 and thereabouts? He was originally a Canadian pastor, Presbyterian who is thought to have worked at Zion Congregational Church in Toronto, Ontario, some time around the turn of the century. He apparently turned Pentecostal later and  emigrated to the United States in 1915 and worked some time for the Duncan sisters in Rocheter, New York.

Interestingly, my great-great-great-grandmother was Ana Eliza Speers. Well, you know, spellings vary widely on these ancient census documents so who's to say how her name was supposed to be spelled? Anyway, Ana Eliza Speers was a Canadian living in Ontario. She married John Levins and had many children there in Canada, one of whom was the father of my great-grandmother. However, whether she, and thus we, ever had any kinship connection to this Stephen Speirs Craig is nigh impossible to say for sure, and even if it were so, it would not explain how my great-grandparents became Pentecostals all on their own living out there in California within easy driving or walking or bus or tram distance to the Azusa Street church where things really got rolling.

Anyway, the only Craig persons I know of here in Florida are definitely NOT related to me, thank heaven. Nor would they have a clue about the Speirs, as neither would I, come to think of it, not that it matters in the least.

The fact remains that my hand was pierced by an actual African spear that my sister and I were fighting over in San Bernardino, moving into a house formerly occupied by missionaries to Africa who had left behind some artifacts, not that I remember anything about that. There is obviously no connection there to Pentecostal Canada for those of us who know how to spell.