Monday, April 23, 2012

Pinecrest Whiners

I vaguely remember that at age 12 I was at junior high youth camp staying at a cabin with some girls, some 12 and some 13, and we were talking about various things such as the problem of what to do if some guy wants to kiss you and the rule is that you cannot kiss until the third date. I said that I thought that I would have to say to him, "No, I can't do that." Then another girl who was perhaps more savvy about these things in her way, or maybe she was 13, said that she would not want to say no to a boy because then he would be crushed and hurt. What she said was a surprising thought to me. I had not thought of it that way before. Yes, perhaps boys do have feelings, too. I had not thought of it that way before. As it turned out, no boy asked me on a date to the final banquet that week at camp so I did not have this problem. Still, I see no reason to revise what I had said. After all, I would not want every Tom, Dick, and Harry to think that I would always say yes. Yes, they say that some boys will not ask me out unless they know ahead of time that I will say yes, but perhaps then again in reality some boys do not get the message clearly. There are times when I might have to say no, like the time when creepy little twerp from Louisiana Randy Gay asked me on a date and I said no. There are reasons why I need to reserve the right to say no. I might say yes and I might say no.