Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mock

It was my sister who dated Steve Mock the year that she attended SCC. Steve might have been an MK-Mexico although I really don't remember. I think they appeared together in a production of a Shakespeare play during the spring semester. Other than that I don't remember remember anything about Steve other than he dated my sister for a short time. I don't remember ever talking to him, just heard something about him.

In a different vein, the only thing I remember is that in high school we read, "To Kill A Mockingbird," the Southern Gothic novel by Harper Lee that is full of racial issues. This novel is a standard of American literature, as is Mark Twain's "Puddnhead Wilson," which we also read in high school. Both of these books deal with racism from a U.S. viewpoint. Racism in Central America is different kettle of fish.

Jack Nicholson starred in a movie that I never saw, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I am trying to remember if we read this book in class or only heard book reports about it. Perhaps a mockingbird  atheist lacking rock music talent could end up in a mental ward where order is demanded by the iron-fisted Nurse Ratchett. Those found not in compliance with the dictatorship of Nurse Ratchett will be lobotomized, meaning that their brains are split in half. With the internal connections severed they will no longer function very well because parts of their brain are no longer trading information.

As they say, united we stand, divided we fall. Divide and conquer. Cut off your nose to spite your face and see what happens.