Thursday, November 15, 2012

Be the Best

Which reminds me that during the one year I was at Evangel our college dean was Mr. Best and his daughter lived nearby or I somehow knew her from classes or something. In the course of his duties promoting the college he devised a clever slogan based on his own name, "Be the Best." He was not suggesting that we should all join his family, obviously. It was nice of the Best family to host some of us girls for a night at their house before taking us to the airport to go home. But Mr. Best was only encouraging all Evangel students to be the best they can be, similar to the slogan used by the army. I heard that Mr. Best was later fired for some ignominious reason so obviously Mr. Best was not the standard by which we are to model ourselves in every respect. Besides, I would be lying if I said that I was the best at everything, so obviously I never said that. I am uncomfortable with this idea that I have to be better all the time or die. I might be better at one thing and yet not better at another. In matters of indifference, there are times when good enough is good enough.