Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Presidents

I think that it is important for us American citizens to vote for president. I did this even in college. I remember walking over to the Costa Mesa City Hall building to vote in the 1980 presidential elections However, I do not imagine that either candidate was even remotely aware of my existence as a voter. I did not vote to get special favors from the president, whether Reagan for whom I voted or Carter for whom I did not vote in 1980 because, well, the Iran thing was getting ridiculous. But I was only doing my civic duty like so many other voters. There are many voters. Just look at the tiny little voters and non-voters crawling around on the globe of earth. Viewed from outer space these tiny little voters and non-voters look indistinguishable from each other. We are just the people, the human beings, the jars of clay so to speak. Which reminds that I don't recall participating in the student body elections. Who voted for Rusty anyway? I don't recall doing so. I do not imagine that either Reagan or Carter would have been aware of anything about my identity. In this regard I cannot speak for my well-connected relatives. Was not my Dad's Aunt Julia married to a colonel of whom I know almost nothing? Do great-grandmother's diaries not record that Uncle Ariel and family went to some camp meeting in San Clemente? Was not San Clemente the home of President Richard Nixon? Inquiring minds perhaps want to know what Uncle Ariel was doing in San Clemente and whether there was any connection there to Nixon. I have no idea. The diaries do not specify the exact location within San Clemente and purpose for which Uncle Ariel's family went there, not even whether any presidential thought was involved in their stopping by perhaps the San Clemente McDonald's restaurant on their drive north to Pasadena. I have no idea. You would have to ask them what exactly that meant.