Friday, November 30, 2012

Which reminds me

While I was a reporter at the Haines City Herald covering the tiny town of Dundee I recall there was a controversy over the local creche which was displayed on public property owned by the town. The town received a letter from the ACLU requesting its removal. The other reporter Cherie Jacobs, who wrote for the bigger paper, the Lakeland Ledger, wrote a story which contained mainly the contents of the ACLU letter in addition to a description of the creche. My story, which appeared later, after the town meeting, included more of the comments of the mayor who expressed the town's defense of its opinion that there was no reason for them to remove the creche. I don't remember what happened later, if the town abandoned this idea of displaying the creche on public land or it was moved to private land or something. I really don't care that much personally. I was just doing my job. I only covered that town for a short town and, anyway, this is not an issue that will make or break my Christian beliefs. Whatever the decor may or may not be, Christmas is something I believe and know in the heart and is not dependent on the presence of these knick-knacks so beloved by simple-minded Catholics who don't seem to know any better. Christmas says something about what Christians believe in regards to the virgin birth of Jesus, an idea that is apparently not agreeable to Jewish people. They have no real understanding of Christmas, sad to say. More recently, it was disturbing to be receiving messages from this Cherie Jacobs or similar wicked witch sorceress, possibly even my own Wicked Witch Anita, who was saying that if I am putting all my faith in some object, that I will become myself just a baby doll of sorts, just a statue upon which other persons will project emotions and ideas of their choosing, myself not being anything but a piece of plastic, a reflector that they can use to accelerate their own particular personal agenda. I did not like hearing all of this garbage from trashy dog Stacy and her clueless sidekick Sue. I did not like not being able to control my life. I did not like my words falling into the air and dissipating like a tree that falls in the forest unheard, the sound waves bouncing back as if I were nothing but a transponder of sorts. I did not like this whole scenario with all of these people shoving my head in the sand. I did not like Green Eggs and Ham. I did not like you Sam I Am. So hopefully something of my message back to you will get out through the Internet even if I cannot really express these thought in polite society without getting cut off at the knees.