Thursday, November 15, 2012

Which reminds me

During the last couple of years that I was in college I had a part-time job accompanying some vocal students on the piano, maybe four or five in a semester. I also had the experience of playing for the voice class which is all beginner stuff anyway. For all of this musical work I was paid about $100 for the entire semester which seemed at least enough for pocket change for this college student but really not really enough to compensate for the hassle of trying to "help" those obnoxious whiny singers in certain cases. I also worked as a dishwasher in the cafeteria occasionally. I do not recall whether I reported this to the IRS. I seem to remember that at the time the amount earned did not seem to reach the threshold of needing to be reported to the IRS. I seem to think that I did not ever earn $1,000 for the whole year during college so the thought of taxes did not seem urgent at the time. I really don't remember.