Thursday, November 15, 2012

College Memories

Yes, they really can be nasty there at SCC, especially the music majors. I remember that Rose Wilson sang very well but everyone was afraid to write letters because Rose Wilson worked in the mailroom which meant that your in-house mail would probably be read if not sealed and possibly even sealed letters were not safe. The contents of any student-to-student correspondence would likely be distributed to the four winds which was another reason to not write any notes or letters. One could not be sure about that. I remember that Cori belonged to a book club and received books every month by mail. She talked me into doing that as well. I signed up for the book club and the first package was personally delivered to my door by Sue McGartland of the mailroom along with some ominous mutterings about the dangers of reading too many books. I immediately canceled, needless to say. Sue McGartland was in the voice class for which I served as accompanist, playing such old vocal class standards as "The Holy City" and "I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked."

Which reminds me that Barbara Kraiss, Larry's mother, did an excellent job as my accompanist during my junior year. She was said to have learned piano later in life and yet was fairly advanced for being a late pianist. Most pianists think that piano has to be learned at age 4 or nothing but there are exceptions.

Which reminds me that one year there appeared at SCC a girl singer who had experience doing backup vocals for some rock band. I don't remember which one. I don't remember what her name was or why she was at our college when she could be out touring the world in glamorous style. I am reminded that Barbara Kraiss made some scathing comments about her, although I don't remember the details. I only know of this singer's presence at college because of scathing remarks from Barbara Kraiss and others, maybe Warren although I don't remember. Without hearing that I would not have any idea of her existence as I had no classes with her. But if you know how those people are, speaking of the Kraiss's and other higher-up district people, you would not be surprised to hear them criticize everyone on the planet. No one is good enough for them, basically. They will find an excuse to dump everyone eventually. That is just how they are.