Sunday, August 18, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Many years ago while attending Oakland Park Assembly I was wearing a cotton blouse that I had sewn myself. I had picked the material at a fabric store and used my very own sewing machine. I recall Craig Bowlingball more than once teasing me about that, asking me if I had cut up some curtains because I looked like I was wearing curtains. Oh, ha ha ha! Not really that funny even the first time, and constant repetition only confirms that Craig would never really make it in the world as a comedian, obviously.

"No," I replied, and that was about all I said about that.

At the time it did not occur to me to launch into some scripted rigamarole but with the advantage of hindsight I now see that perhaps I could have said something like, "Is my name Maria von Trapp that I would ever be considered qualified for the position of governess to the widowed captain's seven children? That I should ever be a Catholic nun? That I should be toting a guitar around all over the place for impromptu renderings of "My Favorite Things"? That I should aspire to a promotion to Austrian baroness when obviously I don't run in such aristocratic circles nor do I speak German? No obviously not. My name is not Maria Von Trapp nor is my family in the entertainment business that I should imagine myself a singer."

I was never very quick with my tongue. I only think of these things later, much later.

Which reminds me that I once called Pam to say hello and she acted very strange and hesitant, said that she had lied about me to Craig and that she was sorry. Very strange. That is a point that the police could explore in their future interrogations of Pam. What did she mean by that anyway?