Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Her name was Charlotte, the possibly wicked woman who stole Lord Kirkcudbright away from his wife, Lady Kirkcudbright, or something like that. At least that is one possible interpretation of the ancient documents. Upon the death of Lord Kirkcudbright somewhere around 1827 Charlotte was given 500 pounds for her troubles while the rest of the estate went to the wife, Lady Kirkcudbright, according to the will that was pronounced upon in the English courts. Whatever happened to Charlotte anyway? I really have no idea.

And why are we hearing so many messages from North Carolina, where Charlotte is a prominent city? I have no idea. I have never more than driven through North Carolina without stopping. There is no one in North Carolina that I would know or consider a personal friend that I could ever trust that I know of. North Carolina means nothing to me.

You see, our McClellan family is not descended from Lord Kirkcudbright, whose title later became extinct. I cannot speak for other McClellans who may imagine themselves more closely connected to the Scottish town and its skeletal castle now owned by the UK's National Trust which is a good thing because it is doubtful that any of us in America would ever think of going there just for a pile of rocks. It would an interesting one-day outing if I ever could afford to vacation there but not a place to stay.