Thursday, December 27, 2012

Kosher Dills

I always did like those kosher dill pickles my mom used to buy at the grocery store. However, I would not be able to comment on whether my great-grandfather, a butcher, learned his trade the kosher way or just the standard Gentile method for the slaughtering of animals. Some people are trying to hint around about the idea of eating animals vs. vegetarianism, and want to explore the idea of kosher killing in which the animals bleeds to death or something like that. While some ancient relatives might know something about this, I really have no idea. This is not something that I ever thought to ask about. While our dinner plates may not be strictly kosher, U.S. food regulations are much stricter than anywhere else on the planet, except maybe Israel, so really, while we may yet have room for improvement, still there is not much room for complaint in the food department compared to some other countries, such as, for example, China. All that sodium glutamate, all those unidentifiable blobs of meat, etc. Chinese food in China, well, let's just say, I wouldn't ever be going there just for the food.