Monday, December 3, 2012

Talent Show Whiners

Which reminds me that one year at SCC, maybe my third year, a group of girls asked me to play accompany the song they would be performing for the college's annual talent show which was then in its maybe second or third year. I am trying to remember what the song was, maybe "One Singular Sensation" from the Broadway musical, "A Chorus Line," although I could be wrong. Perhaps it was some other song. I can't quite remember. I guess those girls really wanted to strut their stuff on the stage so that was their choice of musical routine. I only played whatever they wanted because they asked. Otherwise I would not have been any part of that. It was not the kind of thing that I would be interested in doing, obviously. That was probably the only time that I had any part in a college talent show except for a tiny part in a choir the first year. My sister and I almost did a trio with Lynda but we backed out because it just wasn't going to work. I never really liked doing secular music very much anyway. You had to do some things to get the college credits but the talent show was not required. Thus I find it unbelievably rude for those girls to be asking me to explain their act. What were they thinking? I have no idea. I remember almost nothing about it. What were their names anyway? I only remember that when I walked off the stage I got lost and turned in the wrong direction and Rusty saw me and screamed at me. He thought I was trying to get myself in the spotlight. Ha! No, Rusty, I was only trying to get off stage as quickly as possible to find a chair to relax and watch everybody else in the college making fools of themselves, all under Rusty's able stage directions. That was all that was about.