Sunday, December 9, 2012

Which reminds me

One summer while we were living in El Salvador a guy from Arizona came down to help out with the work and lived with our family for about three months. His name was Bruce Brock and he was from Tucson or Phoenix, one of those major Arizona cities. His father was an Arizona pastor who knew my Dad and perhaps we had itinerated at their church or something. So Bruce was there at our house for about three months during one summer when I was maybe 14 or 15. My sister had to sleep in my room during those three months that we had company. She pulled lots of pranks on him, like propping a water bucket over the door so that he would be doused with water when he went into her room and so forth. One day my sister was being such a brat that I locked her out of my room for a while. However, Bruce interfered and pounded on the door until I finally had to open the door because of all this commotion and Bruce's interference in the proper training of a sister who does not understand the concept of personal boundaries. So anyway during that summer a letter arrived in the mail addressed to Bruce in the care of Mr. and Mrs. Calkins or something like that. My mother, being confused by the way the envelope was addressed, opened and read the letter, then handed the already open letter to Bruce who was apparently somewhat miffed at this invasion of his privacy. It appears that the letter was from his girlfriend back home in Tucson and was quite graphic in its wording, expressing some longing to reenact some previous experiences which I cannot describe because I did not read the letter myself. I only know something that my mother said about the letter because the wording of it shocked her and she got sort of overwrought talking about the letter. We never heard from Bruce after that summer of discord. He went back to Tucson and disappeared into the desert plains of Arizona. After all that discord we were not much inclined to call on Bruce ever in this lifetime given that he interferes too much and makes me feel like garbage. Besides, Bruce is nothing, just another obnoxious pastor's kid.