Thursday, December 13, 2012

Nuking Japan

Which reminds me that I never lived in Japan although my college roommate Cori was the daughter of missionaries to Japan, although I don't think she ever actually lived there. They had returned to the U.S. by the time she was born, I seem to recall her saying. I don't know why I am really not very interested in exchanging notes with the Japanese even though we did have Yasushi Takeda in our high school class part of the time, he who played in Lance Starin's rock band that performed the Beatles act at the high school talent show and later rose to prominence in the Washington D.C. press corps, or so I think I heard. Evangelina Sol sang Carly Simon's "You're so Vain," at the talent show as I recall, maybe, and maybe there were some other acts. I don't remember very much about high school. Anyway, my great-grandparents were missionaries in Japan, not China, although it appears that often the steamships stopped in Japan for a day or more en route to China or America. However, you won't get a lot of steam going about China when all you can talk about is Japan, obviously. Sorry, but there isn't much of a spark in that stale batch of nothing really.