Thursday, December 13, 2012

Yuma

Which reminds me that I once spent a week in Yuma, Arizona, visiting Miss Geraldeane Knox, who was my sixth grade teacher at MK school in El Salvador. Miss Knox appeared at my college and invited me to spend the week of Spring Break in Yuma with her and her two foster daughters whose names I do not recall that were living with her at the time so I went and returned to California by bus. It was maybe a four or five hour drive to Yuma. So that was nice but I have to admit that I had a very boring time and never wanted to do that again. I went to the local fair with one of the foster daughters and we got on a ferris wheel and the guy forgot to turn it off for the longest time so were going around and around and thought I was never going to get off that. I  I suppose that I should have sent a thank you card later because, well, it was not like I didn't have time but, well, anyway, I forgot all about them later. Also, I wasn't very interested in joining Miss Knox's foster family so I would not want to encourage future invitations.

I also forgot to discourage Barbara Forrest from continuing to give us boatloads of stuff at Christmastime just for being MKs. We really did not deserve it or want or need that kind of charity. If we turn it down we are ungrateful and if we accept it we are greedy so we accept the invitation and then feel like captive guests. And then we feel obligated to write the thank you cards because the receiver is the slave to the gift giver. Unfortunately I forgot to send the cards so I was executed for the crime of ingratitude. I was not ungrateful in a way but I did not like feeling like a slave to those imperiously snooty California people. It is just all obligation and guilt on my head. And also, it was insulting that Barbara seemed to think of me as a sort of Keturah to be sent away with gifts. I never liked Ken Abrams anyway. If you go to a Christian college and you are not really a Christian we will figure it out, especially if you take up with a Buddhist. Dead giveaway.

Which reminds me that I did a little research on Miss Knox, who might be dead for all I know, and found out that her father was remarried in old age to a certain Joan Keller. Hmmm. I wonder if that was the same Joan Keller who was the receptionist at Lockman Foundation where I worked for a couple of years while I was living in California. I don't remember if I knew that before but I know it now and am wondering how all these people got connected behind the scenes. It really is bizarre.