Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Argentina

Ha ha ha! I well remember that obnoxious Sergio Scataglini, Jeff Campbell's friend from Argentina. One day in the cafeteria he struck up this long conversation with me and then finally he got around to the point of the conversation. Do I have a car so that I can take him somewhere? He really needs a ride and, well, I just happened to be the person available in the cafeteria at that moment. Umm.. No, actually I do not have a car, I told him. Suddenly, his manner toward me turned from kind to contemptous. These Latino guys have no use for a white girl who is not going to deliver the world to them on a silver platter, obviously. But I cannot be someone I am not. I cannot be a senior who owns a car when I am only a junior who does not own a car. Sorry but, well, the people from Argentina should not imagine that we are Evita who will deliver whatever the people want. No, we are not sitting here eagerly waiting for some smarmy guy to pretend to be my friend only because it is suddenly convenient for him and he needs something from me. No, it does not work that way. It is a two-way street as you will find out sooner or later, not that I would know anything about this.