Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cash or Check?

Yes, I vaguely remember years ago when I formerly attended Christian Life Center having a conversation with Bob Bonnano who was talking about the problem of tithing. The Yearys operate on an envelope system. You must put your tithe in the envelope and mark on the outside of the envelope the amount of your tithe or other designated sum and its intended destination. If you do not properly mark your envelope it is quite possible that they will deposit your check and yet not record the amount on your financial records. So if you are not going to mark the envelope it doesn't matter if you use one or not. You can put a check in the offering plate and you can also put cash in the offering plate but either way it won't matter as far as they are concerned. I remember Bob saying that he pays cash only to the offering plate and because of the church rules they were hassling him about that. If he did not pay according to the system he would no longer be allowed to participate in and play guitar for children's ministry. He said that Jack, a church deacon, had given him the ultimatum. Bob refused to comply with church policy and left for Calvary Chapel. So that was his decision. Whatever. I left also but not for that reason. I was paying my tithes calculated to the penny as prescribed. I think that if you are committed to a particular church it is not too much trouble to follow whatever their system might be. However, I was getting tired of feeling like garbage anyway. It doesn't matter whether you tithe or not. Either way you just feel like garbage there. Plus all my conversations seem to be reported back to the Yearys, not that I would say anything all that dangerous, but it gets very tiresome being elected as the pastor's enemy.