Thursday, March 3, 2011

Stuart

Yes, I do remember that in sixth grade at the missionary kid school in El Salvador there was a guy named John Stuart, an eighth grader. I don't think he was there more than a year or two and I don't remember anything about him other than he was there. Who asked me about this? Anyway, he was not related to the Stewarts who also attended the school but it was very interesting to them to have someone in the same school of the other spelling. The Stewarts are always so proud of their name, always acting as if they are born to rule over us. It gets sort of annoying, actually, for a non-Stewart like me to feel like what I say or do just doesn't count. Everything they say is taken at face value and I am never consulted so, basically, Susie rules even when she is wrong or doesn't even know what she is talking about or even, dare I say, when she is twisting the facts to suit herself. Yes, we all have to feel so sorry because Susie's Dad died when she was 12 years old but, still, there is a limit to how far these sob stories will go. We grow weary of feeling sorry for Susie after she has trampled us underfoot for too long. Susie so loves her own name that she prayed that her husband would also be a Stewart and God answered her prayer with a Buzz Stewart. So that's nice for her, but I am not so particular as that. There is not really a last name requirement for me but, anyway, it would have to be someone who understands me and treats me like someone who counts for something, especially as I am not really that bad, not really any worse than some other people I can think of and perhaps even better than others. In fact, it it kind of depends on what you mean by bad. If I am only a copycat, what about the original sinner? I am not supposed to care about that, and yet it is already assumed that I am asking the question. So I could try to wriggle off the hook by explaining this but nobody would care. Yes, we are all supposed to feel sorry for the Bueno brats because their last name marks them as Hispanic but, well, c'est la vie. A large chunk of the population does very well with Hispanic names attached so I do not see any reason to feel sorry for them. In fact, sometimes they are the ones who treat us like garbage and not the other way around, so it boggles the mind that anyone could think otherwise. They expect us to tell them all about us but they never mention that their family tree is full of Scottish and English names: Stewart, McFarlane, Drake, Moore, McWhiner, etc. So the surname does not necessarily represent very much, only one aspect of one's heritage, not the whole picture.