Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-February and March 1981

Feb. 1: "Suzanne took Gloria, Walter and I to church. Since Pastor Webber is sick Bro. Nelson did the preaching. We also had Communion. After lunch Gloria and Walter went somewhere for the afternoon. Sue and I both had a nap. After that I spent most of the time reading and TV. Animal programs this evening."
Feb. 2: "Walked around rose garden. Worked on needlepoint, mostly ripping. Had a ride to bank, grocery and gas station. In midst of supper Ralph came for us to come over to their home to see program of the war. Harold is with. We got home at 9 and I finished my supper. That was a mistake for I could not sleep."
Feb. 3: "Worked on needlepoint but had to rip. I can’t seem to manage the pattern. So at 2 o’clock took a nap, now feel better."
Feb. 4: "Audrey called with a friend. They and Suzanne went out for lunch."
Feb. 6: "Susie came while we were eating. Walter is helping with the dishes. I had a game of anagrams. Then Suzanne and I had a game of transograms."
Feb. 7: "Up for bath. I wondered why Gloria seemed in such a hurry. While eating breakfast came Audrey and George and Tina with a group of friends and neighbors to get Gloria and Walter to take them to Disneyland. I am so glad for Gloria to have this opportunity to get away from her daily work. Suzanne and I played dominoes a long time. I had my walk to lagoon at 10 and a walk up the road after 4. We expected the folks back around 7 but it is now 9. No one yet. They came a few minutes later."
Feb. 8: "Late getting started to church. Then the car would not start so Sue arranged to take our lunch over to Esther’s and Ralph came and got Walter and me. Some of food not ready so a little later he came and got Susie and Gloria and the food and we had a good lunch together. Esther better now and can walk without crutches. We came home about 6, had supper at 7 and watched some and did a bit of reading. Sorry to have missed church."
Feb. 9: "Am having difficult with the needlepoint. I think I’ll have a game this evening."
Feb. 10: "Usual reading. Needlepoint along with ripping. Had a walk around rose garden….Ralph and Esther came over to have dinner with us about 6:30. Esther taught English to Gloria. Sue and I had a game of transograms. Ralph took Walter for a ride. Now bedtime."
Feb. 11: "Needlepoint until too dark to see — evening paper."
Feb. 12: "Suzanne took us to women’s meeting at 10. Ralph came for us at 1. Audrey came up to help Susie sew. Audrey, Tina and Suzanne left about 5 for San Diego. Tina took me for my 4 o’clock walk. Gloria went to Esther’s from meeting and got back just as I returned from walk so now there are only Gloria, Walter and I here."
Feb. 13: "Ralph stopped by with several of their grandchildren and took Walter with them to beach. Walter gathered shells….Read until supper. That over, it may be dominoes. Walter and I had two games, Gloria watching. Then I finished the paper, read a Scripture and remarks, read in Digest."
Feb. 14: "Audrey and Suzanne arrived at the Princess in San Juan today….Worked after lunch until 3. Then Ralph came to take us to grocery. It proved to be in different places in Oceanside and different places in Carlsbad. Got home at 5."
Feb. 15: "Breakfast over before 9. Ralph took Gloria and Walter to Escondido and I was along for ride. We came back to Esther’s and a few minutes later came Cynthia and Steve to get their children Amy and Aaron. They left for their home. After lunch I had a nap, then came Merle and Kaye and then Ariel and Evelyn. About 9 Gloria and Walter returned. They watched TV from 7 to 8. Ariel and Evelyn and Miranda brot Gloria, Walter and I home. Pulling trailer so we all got settled just after 10. Esther met a marine at church and he had lunch with us. He also got an Evangel and after reading gave it to me."
Feb. 16:  "Ariel and family ate breakfast in their trailer, then Ariel fix something here and Evelyn and I had a nice game of transograms. Ariel took Miranda and Walter to the beach. We visited until lunch. They had lunch with us about 1. Then Ariel put tailer and car together and they left about 3. I then worked on the needlepoint a while. On my way to bathroom fell down but was not hurt much. At 5 had a walk up to bus and back. Started to read evening paper, then call to eat."
Feb. 17: "Ralph took me to W.F. office and there were many waiting so they changed date to March 3. Julia will be here then to take me back. We came back here and got Gloria and went to Big Bear. After lunch I took a one-hour nap. Then worked on needlepoint until used all the yarn. Read until supper. Now I think I’ll have a game, then read some more. Today Julia is supposed to meet Mary Olive and Eugene in Caracas on the Princess steamer."
Feb. 18: "Up and going as usual. Used all yarn so now will try to answer some letters."
Feb. 19: "Ralph came for us at 10 and took us to church. He came for us at 1 and took us to their home and we were there for supper."
Feb. 21: "While I was eating breakfast came Ralph and Esther. Gloria and Walter went with Esther to a garage sale and Ralph stayed here. They brot my needlepoint work home so I’ll work on that. They are here now. I finished the needlepoint. Now hope to write letters. Late afternoon came Merle and Cindy and Heather and we played dominoes until they had to leave. Sorted used stamps. Finally I went to the table and had a good game of transograms. It 9:30 and I am going to bed. Been a good day."
Feb. 22: "Today is Pastor and Martha Webber’s 30th wedding anniversary. After church Ralph brot us to their house for lunch. Soon as Walter ate Ralph took him to boys club where church kids went to swim. Late afternoon picked him up at a man’s house and took us home. I’ve been watching TV animals and reading a lot."
Feb. 23: "Up and going. I feel better this morning. Wrote to Laurie Salemi….Esther is here cutting Walter’s hair and Gloria’s. Ralph, Esther, and Harold had dinner with us. They left about 8:30."
Feb. 24: "Read evening paper. Ralph brot us a box of strawberries this afternoon. Played dominoes with Walter after supper.
Feb. 25: "After lunch Gloria rearranged the furniture in my room. I did sorting papers. Reading. A walk up the road. After supper dominoes with Walter."
Feb. 26: "Ralph came by at 10, took us to church. Returned for us at 1. Took us to their home. I had a nap. Then we all including Sister Freeman went to San Diego. Had trouble finding place they wanted. Found it about 7, was there an hour. Then took Sister Freeman home and then back to Oceanside until 9, then home."
Feb. 27: "Esther and Ralph came in afternoon. Esther stayed with me while Ralph and Gloria went to grocery. More reading. After supper dominoes with Walter until 8."
Feb. 28: "We expect Julia home today. Usual reading. Walk around in house. George brot Julia, Suzanne and Audrey about 2 o’clock. So good to see them again. Ralph stopped in just after they left, with Aaron and Amy. I am so tired of reading. I’ll be so glad when I get some more needlepoint to do. By mail received a lovely pink dress from Murlene."
Mar. 1: "At noon friends came for Gloria and Walter. Julia said she went to San Diego. They returned about 6."
Mar. 2: "Up and going after the best nite’s rest in long time….After lunch had a walk up the road. Worked on pillow top. Wrote to Murlene to thank her for dress. Ralph, Esther and Harold called in a few minutes. She brot pillow to do….Late supper. Had few minutes with dominoes with Walter and it is bedtime."
Mar. 3: "Usual Bible reading. Ripped what I did yesterday and started right….We went on an errand to Welfare office. More needlepoint and a walk up the road….Felt quite good today."
Mar. 4: "After 3 a ride to errands, Fedmart and Safeway."
Mar. 5: "Julia brot Gloria and I home and she and Sis. Freeman went to Esther’s. I did needlepoint. About 5 word came we were going to Kardiff Kitchen for supper. It was good. Mrs. F. came on bus in Leucadia so her folks picked her up there and we went home with Esther and Ralph. Stayed until near 9. Then Ralph brot us home."
Mar. 6: "Went to lagoon in morning and walked up the road in the afternoon."
Mar. 7: "Julia went to San Diego. Suzanne is home with her. After 7 came Merle, Cindy, and Heather. The girls, Walter and I played dominoes a while. Then we watched TV until 10. They had refreshments and then went home. Been a good day."
Mar. 8: "Susie took us to church, Gloria, Walter and I. Had interesting service and got home at 1 PM…..Did a bit of reading. Watched TV animal program."
Mar. 9: "After lunch work until 3:15. A trip to the Doctor who said I was doing fine. Also got my glasses made more comfortable. After supper Suzanne went to Esther’s to help them."
Mar. 10: "Some reading before breakfast. Had a good nite’s rest. Sue said a black rabbit came into the patio while we were eating. Later on Walter caught the rabbit and brot it into the house. I am sure it is someone’s pet. It didn’t object to being held. Walter kept it until Julia got home to show here. She made haste to get it outside. I worked until too dark. Afater supper read a while, then had a game of transograms. Susie joined me in second game and it was late when we got to bed."
Mar. 11: "Suzanne went to San Diego this afternoon. Had a letter from Gladys Wilson."
Mar. 12: "Julia took us to church at 10 and came for us at 1."
Mar. 13: "Sent away cupons to get Brahms tablespoon for Julia. Worked on needlepoint. Suzanne came before noon on her way to Glendale. She took Julia with her….Suzanne and Julia came back at 9:40 PM and Sue left for San Diego at 10 to 10 (9:50). Bedtime."
Mar. 14: "My walk this morning was around the rose garden between 10 and 11."
Mar. 15: "Julia took me to church at 6. College choir singing. We home by 8 PM."
Mar. 16: "Finished Julia’s needlepoint today. Read evening paper and magazine until supper at 7."
Mar. 17: "Feel weak and miserable. No work for today."
Mar. 18: "10:15 walk to lagoon. Missed seeing bus but saw passenger train going south. Partway back to house saw a freight train going north. Gloria counted 49 cars. Worked on pillow top until lunch and after lunch until 3. Then had walk up the road, then a ride to Safeway and Big Bear. Julia is having a party with neighbors and police, about watching for criminals."
Mar. 19: "Julia took Gloria and I to church at 10 and came for us at 1."
Mar. 20: "Working needlepoint. Had a walk to lagoon, too late to see much but I need the walk….After supper Walter wanted to play dominoes. He won. About 8:30 came Ralph and Esther. They are still here but I am going to bed."
Mar. 21: "Did needlepoint until lunch and after lunch until 4."
Mar. 22: "Ralph and Esther came and took me to church, brought me home and had lunch with us, then went home. I had an hour’s sleep this afternoon. Friends came for Walter and Gloria and brot them back around 5:30 or 6."
Mar. 23: "Reading. Dominoes with Walter. Bedtime."
Mar. 24: "Julia went to San Diego after lunch, returned after 6 and Suzanne with her. Read and watched TV after 8. Played dominoes with Walter right after supper. Been a good day."
Mar. 25: "Finished pillow top but it is too small so must do a border. After supper played dominoes with Walter and Sue, then with Walter. Read paper, had glass of hot milk."
Mar. 26: "Suzanne took Gloria and I to church to “women’s ministry” at 10 and came for us at 1 and took us to Esther’s. She had my work in her car so I worked the afternoon until too dark. Pauline Freeman came with us to Esther’s. I read the evening paper there. Julia came late afternoon and left in a little while and brot Gloria and Walter and we eight people had supper at Esther’s. Gloria became ill so Julia took her home and later around 8 Suzanne brot Walter and I home. I watched TV some and read several chapters in Bible."
Mar. 28: "Julia went somewhere and Suzanne is sewing on her dress so I decided to have a game of transograms. It proved to be a hard game. I read a chapter in Luke and now I will get ready for bed."
Mar. 29: "Merle and Kay took Gloria, Walter and I to church. Ralph and Esther brot me home and took Gloria and Walter too. I spent most of afternoon reading."
Mar. 30: "Susie went to San Diego but came back. In evening we had a game of transograms. President Reagan was shot."
Mar. 31: "Up for bath after good nite’s rest. Report president doing well. Had walk to lagoon. Suzanne left at noon and Julia with her to stay overnite and see her off on plane. Had walk up the road. Worked till dark. Felt quite good today. Grace Brassington called. Julia not here so she visited with me and I appreciate that."