Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Diary Tidbits-March 1982

Mar. 1: "Had a restless nite. Breakfast over at 8:15. Wrote to the Hunts. Went to “Paul’s” in Carlsbad for permanent before 2, arrived home before 5. Supper over. Gloria gone to school. Now I’ll have a game."
Mar. 2: "Worked some more, at 5:45 went out for supper, then Julia and Gloria went to Safeway. We arrived home at 8 and I spent the rest of time reading. Around 4 tried walk up the road."
Mar. 4: "Am weak and short of breath. Decided not to go to church. After 2 o’clock nap went to Esther’s and was there until after 9."
Mar. 5: "Went to San Diego about 4 to Audrey’s, then to photographer for family pictures. Had dinner after 8 at Audrey’s. Home before 10."
Mar. 6: "More work, then a walk up the road – only partway. I was so weak and short of breath I nearly did (not?) make it. Worked few minutes. Ralph and Esther had supper with us."
Mar. 7: "Up by 8 after a most miserable nite. Usual reading. Ralph came and got me for church. He took me in at side door so not far to walk. Home for lunch by 1, then a nap. George, Audrey came with Mary Olive around 3, left before 6 for church. So good to see M.O. Julia and Gloria went shopping and returned before 8 and we had supper. Shortly after Ralph came for M.O. She will stay at Esther’s at nite and come here in daytime. I am still weak and short of breath but happy for M.O. here."
Mar. 8: "Up and going. Weak but no pain. The Lord promises strength as my day. Usual reading. Beginning Joel this morning. Joe and Darlene came to see M.O. Did not get much work done today. In evening M.O. and I had a game of transograms. Gloria off to school in evening. Went to Doctor at 4."
Mar. 9: "Up for bath. Breakfast over at 9. Usual reading."
Mar. 10: "Went over to Esther’s for the day. Esther is gone. Julia had to stay home for stove to be fixed. But we all got home before 9:30. Now it’s bedtime. Gloria washed my hair and put it in curlers in the forenoon. I got some work done on my needlepoint."
Mar. 11: "Up for bath after uncomfortable nite. Mary Olive went to Women’s meeting. The sisters sent me their greetings and a card. Julia put me on oxygen. After lunch I worked and ripped out yesterday’s mistake. I feel good but am short of breath. So good to have M. Olive here part of the day."
Mar. 12: "Up and going after a good night’s rest. Ate at my desk. Table full of things covered because of work to be done on the ceiling.…Mary Grace came and took Mary Olive out for lunch."
Mar. 13: "No sleep until after 3 AM….Julia and M.O. left at noon for San Diego. Harold Calkins came to visit me in evening. Good to see him."
Mar. 14: "Ralph came and took M.O. and I to church. M.O. went to church in San Diego with Ralph, Esther and Harold. I had a nap and much reading. Gloria and Walter went to Escondido after lunch."
Mar. 15: "Breakfast over before 9. Feel weak. Usual reading. Worked on needlepoint. Lunch early. Took nap and oxygen before 2. Art, Anita, Vanessa and Lydia came, also Darlene & Audrey, but they did not stay long. The Butterfields stayed until Anita and I played two or three games of transograms. So good to see them. A letter from D. Benjamin. His wife is similar condition as me except hasn’t a stroke but uses wheelchair and walker."
Mar. 16: "Finished pillow top for Esther. Harold came to visit few minutes before taking plane from San Diego for home in Florida. Had a nap in afternoon. Wrote to Myrle Gibson. Had oxygen this morning. Ralph and Esther and M.O. with us for supper. They left for home before 9. I dread to go to bed because I don’t sleep."
Mar. 17: "Plan to start on work on pillow top for Julia. Had a nap with oxygen at 2. Also walked around the house. Ralph and Mary Olive with us for supper. Esther did not come because she wanted to work on quilt. I have felt miserable most of the day."
Mar. 18: "Julia took us to church and came for us at 1. I had a nap with oxygen. Did a lot of reading. Mary Olive and I played several games of transograms in the afternoon while Julia and Gloria were gone. Had supper at 7."
Mar. 19: "A nap with oxygen before lunch. Another nap after 2. A ride to Plaza at 4. Supper at 6."
Mar. 20: "Had a walk around out front. Worked at needlepoint. Mary Olive and Ralph came over for a little while. Esther working on quilt. Having trouble with work on pillow. Have felt fair today."
Mar. 21: "Julia took M.O. and I to church and stayed. While eating lunch George and Grace Hunt came to see us. Mary Olive left with them to visit someone."
Mar. 22: "M.O. here part of the day. In evening Gloria at school. Julia and M.O. went somewhere. Ralph and I played dominoes."
Mar. 23: "Ralph, Esther and M.O. going north. May be back Friday. Gloria’s mother in hospital for surgery. Electricity turned off so could not operate. She has cancer. Had a walk around rose garden in forenoon, a nap after lunch with oxygen. A walk a little way up the road this afternoon. Worked on needlepoint in between acts. Feel good but am weak and short of breath."
Mar. 25: "Feeling better. Did not get to church to Women’s meeting."
Mar. 26: "Up and going. Murlene, Audrey came. Usual reading. I feel better this morning. Audrey and Murlene came about 9, had lunch with us and had to leave. Christopher and wife and Abigail came about 3 and left after 4. Worked when I had a chance. Cloudy weather."
Mar. 27: "Up for bath. Breakfast over at 8:30. Usual reading. Worked some. Helped Walter read. Elna Rhodes called on us in afternoon."
Mar. 28: "Up after 8 and feel wretched. Mary Olive came early, then went to Samoan church, got back before 1. Julia took Walter to Sunday School. When he got back Gloria and him went somewhere so Julia, Mary Olive are here by ourselves. I went back to bed for an hour so feel a little stronger."
Mar. 29: "Eugene Hunt’s sister and husband called on us in afternoon. Ralph took Gloria to school in evening. Esther came over for supper and spent evening with us."
Mar. 30: "Had ride around while Julia and Gloria did errands. Pastor Nelson came in the afternoon to see us. Had a late nap and a walk before 6 PM."
Mar. 31: "Up and going. Breakfast over before 9."