Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Diary Tidbits-February to June 1980

Feb. 1: "Took a walk one block up the road. Rested a bit, then prepared eighth napkin for frame. Gloria helped me put it on the frame ready for work.
Feb. 3: "After church Ralph and Esther with two marines came home and so we had six of us for lunch. Congregation less today because of many away camping. Weather nice and warm. Julia prepared a very good lunch with such short notice. After lunch the marines left and Ralph and Esther and I went to their house. Before 6 we left for church. The spirit fell upon the congregation during testimony time and Bro. Webber never got to preach. It was wonderful. Been a long long time since I was in such a service. It was the first time I was in Sunday nite service. I was so thankful for the opportunity."
Feb. 4: "Finished last napkin about 3. Reading and more walking. Julia put her piece on the frame for me so it is ready to start work tomorrow."
Feb. 5: "I’m tired of reading so guess I’ll have a game. I’ve been told I will go to Esther’s tomorrow instead of Thursday. Had one game transograms."
Feb. 8: "Julia came home at 1 and said we are going to San Diego. They loaded my work into car and we got down to Sue’s about 2+. Julia found she had wrong key so phoned Audrey and she came over and let us in. Sue came about 4 and Julia and Sue went shopping. They came back about 5:30 and then we four went to Bob’s for dinner — a good one. We took Sue home, then we came home, arriving 8:40. Been a good day."
Feb. 9: "A walk to lagoon at 10. The sun was bright and I shut my eyes and later Gloria awakened me. I had gone sound asleep and missed seeing bus and trains….Julia announce a trip to Fedmart and after that to Big Bear. I guess we were gone two hours 30 (minutes). I didn’t get to stitch anymore but got a lot of reading done while waiting in car….Today Gloria moved my bed to a different position. I slept as good or better than usual."
Feb. 10: "Breakfast at 8. I wonder what will happen today. Ralph came by and took me to church, brot me home and came back for me before 5 so I had supper with them and spent time reading and watching TV."
Feb. 11: "Julia learned by phone that Evelyn wants me to be ready to come up there by 10 AM the 16th."
Feb. 12: "Worked a while and time to go to appointment with Doctor. Left here about 20 to 4 (3:40), had to wait over half hour. He said I was doing fine but have water on lungs and heart trouble, have to continue with present medicine and return in two months. Ralph and Esther left by plane at 6:30 for Oregon."
Feb. 13: "Even tho cloudy I got on well with my sewing."
Feb. 16: "Ariel and Evelyn came about 10:30 and we left Carlsbad about 1 and it rained all the way to their home, the heaviest rain I ever rode in. I couldn’t see anything but the high road signs."
Feb. 17: "Ariel and I went to church in Arcadia. There I met Eugene Hunt’s brother’s wife’s sister Lila, also Bro. Cruz, a Christian worker who takes things from the churches to Mexico. Saw a different routine in their church — testimony before sermon. Service out after 1 PM."
Feb. 18: "This morning went to see Bob and Helen Hammond. Then little later about 1 or 1:30 left for Carlsbad. Went off route home to find certain restaurant and found it closed so went to another Ariel knew where we had soup and pie (pecan). Arrived here around 4. Julia preparing dinner for all. Ariel and Evelyn left about 8. I enjoyed my visit so much. They did everything to keep me comfortable."
Feb. 20: "Heard today that Ralph and Esther will not return until last of month."
Feb. 21: "Gloria brot me a glass of warm milk. It seems to help me sleep better, especially when we have early dinner."
Feb. 22: "As usual until 3:15 when we left for the dentist at plaza. Gloria had toothache for two days. I waited in car over an hour. Julia had an appointment in San Diego for dinner so she brot me home and someone at the office brot Gloria when they were thru with her."
Feb. 23: "Darlene’s baby is so little and dear. She received many lovely and useful gifts. They served refreshments and most of the folks left shortly after 9. We stayed until near 10 and came home. I was tired and my leg had been hurting me. It was nice to see all the folks again."
Feb. 24: "Julia didn’t take me to church so I have spent the day reading and sleeping and it’s now after 3:30 so I’ll try to write to the Hunts."
Feb. 25: "Then after lunch until about 3 when Audrey arrived with Kim Bates and her friend Cathy. They were here about two hours….It’s 8:30 now, think I’ll have a game if they aren’t using the table. I have felt quite good all day. They were using table so read."
Feb. 26: "Helped Gloria with her yarn."
Feb. 29: "Trip to Big Bear, sat in car waiting nearly an hour, also trips to bank."
Mar. 1: Was coming out of bedroom when who should I meet but Esther and Ralph. Julia had told me they were home. They came and had supper with us. I am so glad to have them back home. They had got up very early to get the plane for San Diego and Ralph was sleepy so they left about 8 PM."
Mar. 4: "At 2 AM called paramedics to take me to hospital. Was there until Thursday at 3 PM."
Mar. 6: "I am at hospital until 3 PM. Julia came for me. I was so glad to be home again. Worked a bit on the needlepoint. Read paper. Dealt yarn for Gloria. Off to bed at 9:30."
Mar. 8: "At 5 took short walk up the road. Joe phoned he is doing well. Dora’s mother died Feb. 12."
Mar. 10: "After supper finished reading paper, then had one game transograms. Then I dealt yarn for Gloria about an hour. Now it is bedtime."
Mar. 15: "We left about 2 PM and went to Audrey’s….Gloria brot her crochet work along and I dealt the yarn while she crocheted. Gloria stayed to go home with Sue and Julia and I left after 9 PM. It was a nice change for all three of us."
Mar. 17: "Worked on needlepoint until near 12 when who should come walking in but Joe. He came down on business and is going back tomorrow morning at 4 AM….I was so happy to see him and he has gained his weight back. Their house is in the plastering process."
Mar. 18: "Used the last of black yarn. Read a lot. Took walk around the rose garden. Took several naps. After supper dealt yarn for Gloria."
Mar. 19: "Work done until more yarn is obtained. Nap 3:40 to 4:30. A walk up the road around 5. Supper at 6. Read newspaper. Now I’ll have a game of transograms and one of anagrams. Ralph and Esther came in before 9. I can’t tell what I’ll do tomorrow, whether go to church or to San Diego. Time will tell. It’s now bedtime."
Mar. 20: "We all went out for supper except George. Susie joined us at Audrey’s. We got home after 9 very tired and glad to be home. So dark in the restaurant I could hardly see my food. Esther had yarn to continue with Julia’s pillow top."
Mar. 21: "Ralph and Esther came for Gloria and I about 9:15 and took us to Audrey’s home….Read a magazine. Then worked on a word finding puzzle. Now it is bedtime. I missed my afternoon walk."
Mar. 22: "Dealt yarn for Gloria to crochet until yarn used up. Tired of work and reading. Julia went out this evening. I’ve been unable to do all the puzzle but will try some more later."
Mar. 23: "Julia and I went to the nursing home to see Miss Hazlett. We found her in her room in wheelchair. She did not know us. We stayed only a few minutes and then went to the Safeway."
Mar. 25: "Yarn not right so can’t work on needlepoint so feel miserable. Been sorting mail and filling the wastebasket. When Julia came home she had found the yarn and I was able to work a while before dark."
Mar. 31: "Finished the pillow top….After supper read paper, had one game transograms, then dealt yarn for Gloria until bedtime.
Apr. 1: "We had just sat down to lunch when here came Esther and Cynthia. I was so surprised to see Cynthia. She brot Julia and I each an Easter basket. They were on their way to San Diego. Julia went to San Diego this AM, will stay over at Suzanne’s until tomorrow. Now I will endeavor to write to the Hunts in Venezuela."
Apr. 2: "Had a walk around rose garden. Too cold and windy and threatening rain to go to lagoon. Gloria helped me put Elizabeth’s needlepoint work on frame…. A friend Bob Schmidt came at 7:30 to take Julia out for dinner. I dealt yarn a while for Gloria. Getting toward bedtime."
Apr. 3: "Suzanne came for breakfast and was here sewing all day. Bob Schmidt came for supper and the evening."
Apr. 4: "I worked all day on the pillow top for Elizabeth. Maybe I’ll have a game. Julia gave me three pantyhose for Easter. I had a game and left hand won for a change."
Apr. 5: "I had a walk around the rose garden in the morning and a walk up the road at 3 in afternoon."
Apr. 6: "Ralph came by and took me to church and brot me home. I forgot my love loaf that all were supposed to bring, holiday offering for the ?stirring? in Cambodia. Ralph came back around 7 PM and took it to church for me."
Apr. 9: "Before 6 dealt yarn. After supper read in Digest and watched TV. In some ways a difficult day. I felt like crying several times today. Hope to get more work done tomorrow probably at Esther’s."
Apr. 10: "Upon arrival at Esther’s she put me down for a nap. Up about 2 PM and worked until sundown. After supper read paper and watched TV. Then Mark — Bidge’s nephew — and I had game of Boggle."
Apr. 11: "Hunted for lost Cheerful House and found it and other reading matter. Had walk up the road at 4."
Apr. 12: "Julia and Grace went to a musical in Oceanside. Not very ambitious today but very thankful for many reasons. It’s bedtime now. Julia had letter from Hunts. They seem to be doing OK."
Apr. 20: "Usual Bible reading. Read newspaper. Waiting to see what happens. Ralph’s car wouldn’t start so Julia went to their house and brot us all to church. Then Julia returned home and at 12:30 came for us, brot Esther and Ralph here and they had lunch with us. Then Julia took them home."
Apr. 22: "About 4 came Esther, Ralph and Harold. Had to leave at 5 for Harold’s appointment. Haven’t felt very good today but keep going. Had one game transograms."
Apr. 23: "Worked all day in spare time on Suzanne’s winter pillow. At 4 had a walk around car and patio and outer hedge….Dealt yarn for Gloria and showed her about the edge of her blanket."
Apr. 25: "Did some needlework. Took nap at 3 and a walk at 5. Supper at 6. Made mistakes so had a lot of ripping to do. Read evening paper. Now I’ll have a short game."
Apr. 26: "At 9 o’clock went to rummage sale at women’s club. I sat in car and read a while, then Julia came for me and I sat inside until near 11. Gloria bought me a dress and slip and Julia bought me a bib. We were back home by 11."
Apr. 27: "Ralph and Esther came for me to go to church and brot me home. Upon arrival we found Anita, Art and three children waiting for us. It was soooo good to see them. A little later they left for Escondido and Ralph and Esther left for San Diego."
Apr. 29: "Left at 9 o’clock for San Diego to Audrey’s home. She brot out a cloth pillow for me to do — a basket of strawberries — I never done anything like it. I hope I can do it right. Gloria worked a house cleaning. Audrey was have a bridal shower in the evening. Suzanne came after school and Julia and her went to see about something. No sun and hard for me to see. We finally got away around 5 PM. Forgot my medicine so had to return for it before we had gone far. Audrey served a delicious lunch."
Apr. 30: "Hope to accomplish something today. I had a good nite’s rest. I am having a hard time with this job, some shades of color are so near alike but are important. I am sure going to get more lessons on patience with this piece of work."
May 2: "Today is Ralph’s 74th birthday. Julia invited them over for dinner. Esther brot her beadwork in which Gloria is interested. Ralph went with Julia on an errand after dinner. When they returned Ralph suggested dominoes. I was happy about that so we played dominoes until 10. Ralph won. I enjoyed the game. It had been a long time since we had a game of dominoes."
May 3: "A walk up the street after a nap at 2:30. Cried a lot, don’t know why….I made a big mistake on pillow. Julia says it is better this way. I did it better than pillowing instructions. She said she would buy more yarn if I need it. Esther and Ralph gone so I won’t be going to church here."
May 4: "I could not sleep and we left for church in San Diego about 5. They had program for the children which was over before 8. They they served cake and punch. After that we left, arriving home at 9:20. 15 minutes later Gloria arrived. A stairs to climb. To save time George carried up and down the stairs. This a very pleasant and interesting day."
May 7: "Around 2 o’clock came Audrey and Tina on their way to her daughter’s. Darlene Fawaz’s baby died last night, what is called “crib death.” They were going up to try to comfort her."
May 8: "For first time in my life had a razor used on my upper lip. Julia took Gloria and I to church. The president bought a needlework piece for me to do. Ralph came for us at 12:15 and we left about 12:45."
May 9: "Muscle spasms all nite so I don’t feel very alert this morning but am able to be up and around….Esther crocheted and Ralph and I played dominoes, then Merle & … came over, then we three played until near 10. Ralph and Esther left at 10:30."
May 10: "Had late lunch and about 3 left for a nursery in Leucadia. They took the wheelchair along so I got to see the flowers. Most beautiful fuschias and a plant with large blue flowers. I did not get the name. Read some when got home."
May 11: "Julia, Gloria and I left for San Diego at 9:15. Took a plant to Suzanne, then went to church. After church went out to Nordic. There were dozen waiting for service so we left there and went to Chinese restaurant and George paid the bill. Then we went to Audrey’s home where the Mother’s Day gifts were distributed. It seemed like Christmas."
May 12: "George stopped by for Julia on way to Redondo to Fawaz baby’s funeral at 1 PM."
May 13: "Ralph and Esther came around 10 to get Gloria and I to take to church to go with a group from “ladies ministry” to the Wild Animal Park out beyond Escondido. We left the church at 10:45 and arrived home at 4. It was a wonderful day for me, saw so many beautiful flowers, some like I had not seen before, altogether eleven of us….Lost one earring while on the train that runs around the park. Saw rhinoceros close up."
May 16: "Suzanne came around 4 to help with Gloria’s paper. Supper around 6. After kitchen work done we had two games of transograms. Susie won both games. She likes to play this game and I am glad for someone to play with me. I got quite a bit done on the pillow today."
May 17: "David B. phoned but I don’t yet know what he had to say."
May 18: "Gloria left mid morning with her boyfriend…. Julia says let’s go pick strawberries. We went out by lagoon and while sitting there came a train of 13 cars. They usually have four or five. Shortly after came Daniel and two friends out where we were. They stayed around about an hour and Daniel and I had a good visit. Then they left to take one of the friends to Chula Vista."
May 21: "Ralph and Esther had supper with us. After supper we all went to Vista to Kay’s house. She has a nice home. Arrived home about 9:30."
May 22: "Around 8:30 Ariel and Evelyn arrived in camper, visited until 10 o’clock, then went to camp in yard."
May 23: "Before 11 Ariel and Evelyn came for me. We went to Oceanside Harbor to an area where there were tables and seats. Watched movement of boats and watched chipmunks come from among rocks and eat out people hand. Evelyn fixed a nice lunch in the trailer. After lunch walked half block down the walk, crossed street to restroom, then back to a seat by the ocean near a lot of boats. We watched boats come and go until near 3, then went back to trailer and had two games of anagrams. At 4 Ariel said we must go."
May 24: "Early lunch, then off to San Diego on business concerning Gloria going to Salvador. Audrey came over to stay with me while they were gone….Audrey and I started a game I had never seen. When they got back Julia wanted to come home but needed to borrow Sue’s vacuum cleaner so Gloria vacuumed her living room before we left. We came to the Cardiff Kitchen for supper."
May 25: "Ralph came at 9:30, took me to church and brot me home near 1. Esther was home sick….Did a lot of reading and watched TV, some very interesting about life in Africa."
May 27: "Ralph came for yarn sample before 8. Hope I can accomplish something today. Had a ride to bank, post office, drugstore and another errand. Had trouble with work so didn’t finish much."
May 28: "Mary Olive called on phone. She wanted to hear my voice. Had a nap this afternoon. Been a beautiful day and the flowers are so pretty. My work is going very good."
May 29: "I worked on needlepoint from church but had to rip it out because of mistakes. Very disappointing."
May 30: "I am not happy with my basketwork on Audrey’s pillow top but am not sure what to do."
June 1: "About 8 Ralph ask if I wanted to come home. I said yes if there is someone there. He said there is. So he brot me home and I watched animal program. Ralph fix the light in dining area."
June 3: "Ripped out a lot of work on Audrey’s pillow top. Finished strawberry seeds. Had a nap."
June 5: "Julia took my work frame to Esther’s, then took me to church, only about a dozen attending. Esther came for me at 12:30 and Gloria spent day with a friend in Vista whose birthday it was. Ladies at church were so kind and helped me as I had need."
June 7: "Julia went to a Mexican dinner."
June 8: "Grace Brassington called and wanted us to go out to dinner at 6:30. We got there to “Old World” restaurant around 7. So dark I could not see what I was eating. My hearing aid stopped working, too. The food was good. We got home at 9 PM."
June 9: "Around 6 PM Julia said “We are going out for dinner.” So we started out for Kardiff Kitchen. Found out they are closed on Monday. Called at another place and found it closed. Finally came to … and had a good meal. Got home at 9 PM."
June 10: "A friend of Julia’s came to see her. She said she took care of me at the hospital last March. I don’t remember her. I done all the needlepoint I can do until I get some yarn, except the piece I brot from church. I have felt quite good today."
June 12: "Couldn’t find my work so had nothing to do all afternoon."
June 13: "At 3 PM Ralph and Esther came for me and we went to Julia’s graduation exercises. Finished at 4:30, then brot me home. Katherine and Betty came from Fontana, Evelyn and Ariel from … and Gallups from San Diego and folks from Vista. Finally all arrived at Julia’s and we had an excellent dinner. All left before 9:30. About 18 were here. A nice party to celebration."
June 16: "Some of my work so had to rip, have some more ripping waiting for me tomorrow."
June 17: "Yardmen here to work and someone doing something in bathroom. Had walk to lagoon at 10. Got my needlepoint work straitened out."
June 20: "Up and going as usual. Started reading Revolations this morning. Went to lagoon at 10."
June 22: "Ralph came by and took me to church and brot me home. After lunch I went with him to take his father after his belongings. His father will stay at Ralph’s until they find a suitable place for him. Ralph went long way around to San Marcos and it was 2 ½ hours when we returned to Esther’s."
June 23: "About 2 PM we three left for the Fair at Del Mar and arrived home at 7."
June 24: "Julia took me to Esther’s and Gloria and her went to … on business, returning about 7 PM. I worked several hours and read some."
June 27: "Finished Audrey’s pillow top….Around 4 went to Penny’s where had shampoo and haircut. A ride in wheelchair back and forth among the stores. Supper around 7."
June 28: "Put Suzie’s Snowman on frame and worked on that today."
June 29: "Went over to Esther’s before 10. Then Esther and Ralph and the Butterfields went to the FAIR. Julia and I stayed with Grandpa Calkins. They got back at 4 PM. Julia came home with some chicken to cook and when they got home Ralph brot me home to rest until dinner when I’ll go back with Julia. Julia went back to Esther’s at 6 and we had supper there. Anita and family left for home just after 8."
June 30: "Up and going after a restless nite. My eyes aching kept me awake. I am wondering what will happen this week."