Monday, June 11, 2012

Diary Tidbits-October 1981

Oct. 1: "Ralph came and took us to the women’s ministry rally and we had lunch at church. Julia joined us during the meeting. I understood nothing that was said. We got home around 2 and I took a short nap, then worked until 4, had a walk, worked until supper. After supper a game of transograms. Now I’ll read until bedtime. The rally was well attended. The church was about full."
Oct. 2: "More work, then Julia went shopping and Gloria was gone to Esther’s so I went with Julia. We were gone about two hours. When we got home Gloria was here and I worked some more until supper."
Oct. 3: "Up for bath. Breakfast over before 9. Usual reading of Scriptures. Finished pillow top this morning. Had a nap in afternoon. About 3 Julia and Gloria left to shop. Walter is supposed to take care of me. We had two games of dominoes."
Oct. 4: "Ralph came, took me to church and brot me home. Esther and Ralph had lunch with us and I went home with them, had a good nap and Julia came for me around 6. Went to Longs to shop and had supper here over about 8 PM."
Oct. 5: "After lunch went to bank and waited an hour. Came home for few minutes, then went to the hospital, got an injection and examination. I am to return in a month. Arrived home at 5. Gloria going to school tonite."
Oct. 6: "Up for bath after a fair nite. Usual reading. Started pillow top for Julia. A difficult pattern. After lunch a nap. Work until 4, then sat in patio and helped Walter with reading….Had some bread and milk. Read two chapters in Romans. Now it’s 9:30 and bedtime."
Oct. 7: "Worked most of the day, having a hard time with this pillow top. Had a walk around rose garden in forenoon and halfway up the road at 5 PM. Gloria gone to school this evening. I rode along when Julia went for her at 8:45. Now it is 9:30 bedtime."
Oct. 8: "Ralph came for me at 10 and took me to church. He came back about noon, had lunch. Had a good dinner. Sister Freeman was there also. Julia brot me to Esther’s, left for a while, then came for supper at 5:30, then left for school. Ralph brot Gloria, Walter and I home at 8. Been a good day. I had such a good nap at Esther’s."
Oct. 9: "Worked until after 10, then went for ride to San Marcos to take Gloria for her afternoon off. Had nap from 2 to 3….Supper after 7. Got bad news that John Huddleson died."
Oct. 10: "Julia and Gloria left before 8 for Del Mar to attend a rummage sale and they plant to be gone until afternoon and I am left with Walter to look after me. Usual reading. Working. Walter took good care of me. He is very dependable for a 10-year-old. Had a ride to Big Bear in afternoon. Ralph and Esther came over in evening. Julia bought me two dresses, both too big. Maybe Esther can fix them. Had a walk up the road at 5:30."
Oct. 11: "Ralph came by and took Walter and I to church. After church brot us home and Ralph and Esther had lunch with us. After lunch I went for nap and Gloria and Walter went home with Ralph and Esther. I’ve been reading since 3 and I am still sleepy."
Oct. 12: "At 2:30 went to Hospital, Gloria to see Doctor, then went to hearing aid office in Carlsbad. I got a new aid to try. Supper at 5:30. Then Julia took Gloria to school. I read evening paper, then had a game of transograms."
Oct. 13: "So thankful I have the Bible to read. Worked until around 11 when Gloria took me for a walk to lagoon. Murlene and Darrell came about 11 and Julia went somewhere with them about noon."
Oct. 15: "Up for bath after a nite of pain and no sleep. Julia hurried home from school and took us to church. She came back for lunch and brot us home via Big Bear. Gloria stayed home to rest since she was up so much with me. Julia and I went to the Plaza. After supper I read some and had a game of transograms. It’s only 8:25. I may read some more."
Oct. 16: " Julia gave me a pain pill last nite at 10 and I slept until 4 this morning. Then my knee is hurting again. After lunch Julia took me to Esther’s. I worked until 2 and went for an hour’s nap. Then worked until dark. Had a good supper and Esther and Ralph brot me home before 9."
Oct. 17: "Usual reading. Julia went to hospital for tests, why she has high blood pressure."
Oct. 18: "Ralph came and took me to church, then to their home. Had a nap. Esther went to evening service. Gloria returned from Vista about 7. Later Ralph brot us home."
Oct. 19: "As usual. A walk to lagoon in morning. A walk around yard in afternoon. A nap from 2 to 3. Read paper. Worked on needlepoint. At 7 PM a ride to Scripps Memorial Hospital to get Julia and she could not leave."
Oct. 20: "About 10 Ralph came for me to go with him to the hospital to get Julia. So glad to have her home. Late afternoon we all went to Oceanside. In between it all I worked at needlepoint. Got a letter and a book from Patty. After supper had a game of transograms. Then read in new book two chapters, stories of a veterinarian."
Oct. 21: "At 8:30 went with Julia to get Gloria who was at school. Ralph and Esther took Walter to church. "
Oct. 22: "Up for bath and getting ready to go to women’s meeting. Julia was going to take us when Ralph appeared and took us to church. Julia came at lunchtime and we all went to Esther’s after lunch at church."
Oct. 23: "Today was just about like other days. I went nowhere but up the road for a walk. Worked at the needlepoint and did a lot of reading. Had a short letter from Eugene and Mary Olive."
Oct. 24: "A nap at 1:30. When I awakened I found Merle, Heather and Cindy. Merle said the girls wanted him to bring them to see me. After they left we went to Big Bear and Fedmart."
Oct. 25: "Ralph came to take me to church. After church they had lunch with us. Then I went for nap. After 2 came Ariel and Evelyn. So glad to see them. Ariel and I had a visit out by the lagoon. Around 4 they took Julia and I for a ride at the Oceanside harbor. They left here about 5:30 to pick at? Miranda at Esther’s and go home. Gloria and Walter went to Vista to visit Garcia’s, returned before 8 PM."
Oct. 26: "At 4 came Suzanne to help Julia. At 6 Julia took Gloria to school. Susie helped her a bit more, then left for home. Suzanne has to get up at 5 AM. At 8:30 we went to bring Gloria home."
Oct. 27: "A walk to lagoon about 11. Too cold to stay but few minutes. Went to nap at 1. At 3 left for Julia’s haircut and errands. Gets dark early so don’t get much done. No sun today. After supper went to Save-On and Vons at Plaza."
Oct. 28: "Have felt weak all day. I finished a pillow top for Julia. Spent much time reading."
Oct. 29: "Ralph came at 10 and took Gloria and I to women’s meeting where we worked until 11:30, then had lunch. Julia came for lunch and after lunch took Gloria to Esther’s and brot me home….About 6:30 Ralph and Esther came and took us to Kardiff Kitchen for dinner."
Oct. 30: "About 4 went to San Diego and had supper at Audrey’s, then went to Suzanne’s to a baby shower for Arlene. Started home about 10. Got to about a mile from Carlsbad town when car suddenly quit. Julia turned on a light for help and after a long time a man in lighted truck came and pulled us into town. Julia phoned Ralph and he came and took us home, arriving after midnite."
Oct. 31: "Read all evening except had one game transograms and Linda and Heather called for half-hour. Gloria gone for evening."