Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-June 1981

June 2: "Julia went to hospital early this morning. High blood pressure and heart trouble. She came back this afternoon….After supper played dominoes with Walter Ralph is still feeling very bad."
June 4: "Julia better. She went somewhere for the evening. No women’s meeting today in Carlsbad. They went somewhere else. I sure missed it."
June 6: "At noon we went to the church for a reception for Christopher and Arlene Gallup who were recently married in Belgium. A lovely program, food served and open of gifts. Then around 4 went to Suzanne’s home where Murlene and family now live. I met many relatives I had not seen for long time. Dinner served at 6. We got home before 8:30. Very pleasant day."
June 7: "Ralph came and took Gloria and I to their house. Esther and Gloria went somewhere after lunch. Julia came just before supper and we were there until after 9."
June 8: "Breakfast over about 8:15. Julia took car to be fixed."
June 9: "After lunch took Walter when out of school to Leucadia for treatment by order of school. Did some errands and got home after 4. Gloria took me for walk up the road. After supper played dominoes with Walter."
June 10: "Visiting Pastor Nelson came about 4 and visited over half hour. Julia went for a permanent."
June 11: "After 10 Ralph came and took Gloria and I to their home and Esther worked rest of the day to correct my mistake. Didn’t go to women’s meeting because of my cold and cough. After lunch at 2:15 Ralph took me to the Doctor. Had X-ray and he gave me medicine for this cold. Finally after a lot of going around came back to Esther’s for dinner. Then a long ride over Oceanside and home about 8:30."
June 12: "Julia off to Hospital before I was up. She returned around 1. I finished Esther’s pillow top. Had a ride to hospital pharmacy to get liquid medicine instead of what I had that hurt my throat to swallow them. Played dominoes with Walter for an hour this afternoon. Doctor seems to think I am in a dangerous condition."
June 13: "An uncomfortable day with no needlepoint to work on — waiting for yarn on one and pattern on another. Took medicine five times today. A letter from Suzanne from Israel. She is having a happy time."
June 14: "I didn’t spend Sunday as I like to because of this cough."
June 15: "After supper a game of transograms. Myrle and Kay came about 9."
June 16: "Gloria helped me plan and fix a canvas on frame and I started a pillow for Murlene. Had a walk up the road. Been real warm today. Received card and letter from Eugene and Mary Olive for Mother’s Day. He forgot to mail it. Elizabeth is still sick."
June 17: "Gwen, Wesley and her husband stopped to visit me or us on their way home to Pasadena."
June 18: "Julia came about 12:15 and we left after 1. Left Gloria and Walter where they wanted to stop. We went to hospital for Julia’s glasses. They said the Doctor would be there in 20 minutes. She did not want to wait so we came home and I worked on the needlepoint until too dark to see."
June 19: "Julia went to Doctor and he sent her to bed for few days. I had an appointment so Audrey came up from San Diego and took me to it. I worked most of day on needlepoint….Around 8 PM came Ralph and Esther. They left around 9. So it’s bedtime after a good day. I miss Julia but Gloria is doing fine."
June 20: "Worked until lunch and after lunch until 6 o’clock. Finished one end of work….Julia phoned several times. She plans on coming home tomorrow."
June 21: "Am not going to church — don’t feel fit — Ralph not feeling fit either….Went for walk up the road and while we were gone Julia came home about 4. So glad she is back home. Early supper at 5:30. Gloria did up Julia’s hair, then went with friends somewhere. This has seemed like a long day."
June 22: "Work until lunch. Finished work for Murlene….Started work on unfinished pillow top. Stayed up until Julia got home, then went to bed after 10."
June 23: "Up for bath after not so good a night. About like every other day. Ralph stopped in. He brought Cindy in to see me and that was very good….Stayed up until Julia got home from college.
June 24: "Visiting Pastor called late afternoon. He did not talk to me except greeting. Grace Brassington came about some time. When supper was announced he left. Grace had supper with us and left with Julia. She lives … on the way to college. I’m still coughing."
June 25: "Julia came from college and took us to women’s meeting — there by 11 and Esther came for us about 1:45 and brot us home. I worked until supper and after supper had a walk up the road. Made mistakes and did a lot of ripping but got some done right I hope. It is warm tonite. Bedtime. Darrell Hiatt stopped in today. Murlene is up to Polly’s. Frank very ill and she is crippled. Polly is Darrell's mother."
June 26: "Up for bath. Breakfast over about 9:15. About same as other days."
June 27: "It has been a good day. Got word Frank in hospital and Polly may get in nursing home. Suzanne phoned. She is in Germany and having a grand time."
June 28: "Cough back. Will not go to church. Spent the forenoon reading and walking some."
June 29: "Julia made appointment with Dr. Steiger for 10:30. Ralph took us. 4 prescribed more medicine….My cold is better but still cough and discharge."
June 30: "Worked after lunch until Gloria took me for short walk. I did not feel able for the regular trip….My eyes are bothering me. Ralph and Esther stopped to let Walter out of car but did not go in the house. I feel better than I did this morning."