Thursday, June 7, 2012

Diary Tidbits-November and December 19890

Nov. 1: "A walk to lagoon. Saw bus and airplane but no train."
Nov. 2: "Around 10 Julia took me to Carlsbad fiesta. After lunch went to Vista. Julia called on Mrs. Garcia. I slept while waiting in car….Watched TV. They showed lots of animals tonite."
Nov. 3: "About 7:30 came the Frinks: Jeffrey, Laurie and little Nathan. It was fun to watch Nathan’s interest in my cane."
Nov. 4: "More reading. Finally Julia took me over where we voted. Ralph came over for a while this evening. I enjoy watching Nathan."
Nov. 5: "Usual reading of the Scriptures. Grace’s day off.…At 5 o’clock Julia took us all to Kardiff Kitchen for a good meal. After that we came back to Carlsbad and went to the plaza where Julia and Laura went shopping."
Nov. 6: "Usual reading of the Scriptures. Julia took Grace and I to the women’s meeting and got home after 1 o’clock."
Nov. 7: "Suzanne came for lunch. Mailed order for Christmas cards. We left for San Diego about 1 PM going first to Audrey’s where Darlene joined us and we went to the zoo, arriving about 2. Wandered all thru the children’s zoo, Grace pushing me in wheelchair. About 4 we went in the regular zoo and saw elephants, camels, a rhinoceros, etc. We saw no lions or tigers. Left about 5 and went to Audrey’s where she and Suzanne prepared a good dinner."
Nov. 8: "When we were about finished came Suzanne. I think there is to be a sewing bee today. When I was called to lunch I found Grace here for lunch. So the bee couldn’t buzz."
Nov. 9: "Up and going as usual. Grace shaved my chin for first time….Suzanne took me for walk up the road about 4. I was glad for that since Grace is not here today."
Nov. 10: "Suzanne came in to help me get up and get dressed. Gloria called this morning. She wants to come back but has no money, no job. Her mother in the hospital. Had my walk with Grace to the lagoon at 10 and up the road at 4."
Nov. 11: "We left at 3 for Doctor. He said I was doing fine. Then went to ear man. He removed wax from my ears and took wart off my face. Doctor ordered flu shot which another gave me. Arrived home at 5:30."
Nov. 12: "Grace’s day off. Before 9 Julia and I left for Esther’s….I watched Esther working on clowns. Carpet cleaner came to redo some of his work. Jeffrey Frink was there helping Ralph with something outside…."
Nov. 13: "Ralph came by to bring my medicine we forgot last nite and he took Grace and I to the women’s meeting….After supper Julia went away, was back at 9. Grace and I played dominoes a little while."
Nov. 15: "Julia took me along to do some errands. One was to Senior Citizens rummage sale. Ralph was here for lunch. Esther was away selling the clowns she has made."
Nov. 18: "Julia says she is going to the Base today. Suzanne came in time to go with her. They got back around 3 while Grace and I were playing dominoes. Suzanne took her place and we played until after 4. Susie made a pie, then took me for my afternoon walk up the road."
Nov. 19: "Gracie gone, her day away. Susie and I had one game transograms, then played dominoes until 11."
Nov. 20: "After I found the work Esther brot for me I cut up pantyhose….Suzanne went home to San Diego before 10 PM."
Nov. 21: "Did cutting up till lunch and after lunch. Dominioes until 2, then a nap and more cutting up….Julia went to base early, returned about 3. Had good report from Doctor."
Nov. 22: "After supper I wanted to play dominoes but no one to play so I had a game of transograms. Right and left." (She plays the game solitaire, her right hand against her left hand.)
Nov. 23: "Up for bath but shower machinery would not work."
Nov. 25: "Got the shower fixed."
Nov. 26: "Grace’s day off so Julia took me to Esther’s while she went the Base. I took Esther stuffing material along and finished cutting. Also took my frame along and Esther started me on another needlepoint experience."
Nov. 27: "Up and going after a sleepless nite. Went to Thanksgiving dinner at church. They prepared for 25 but only 13 were there. It was a good dinner. Got home after 2. Had my walk up the street at 4. Ralph called for us to come over at 5. We went and had dinner there at 6+. Merle, Cindy, Heather and Kay were there. We got home just after 9. David Benjamin called up. NO one home so he called Esther. Esther loaned me a game, I don’t know the name."
Nov. 28: "Read a bit in Revelation. Now bedtime."
Nov. 30: "Ralph and Esther came for me at 10:45 so we were late. We met the collection in the …. So I put my offering in then. After service dinner was served there at the church. Got mine about 1. After dinner a play but I didn’t understand any of it. Took nap soon as we got home. Julia came to church today so I came home with her. Been reading some and watching TV."
Dec. 1: "Had a game of dominoes with Grace. Julia gone most of the day."
Dec. 3: "Grace’s day away. Julia took me to Esther’s and Esther worked on the needlepoint all day doing ¼ to show me so I can finish it. I was ill all day with a cold and we came home shortly after supper. I coughed for half hour before I could go to sleep."
Dec. 6: "Lunch. Nap. Needlepoint. Ripping. Julia finally fixed my work on frame and I got a little bit done. I don’t seem to accomplish much these days. I have got my family mail mostly done except putting on stamps. Had game of dominoes after 8."
Dec. 9: "Esther ordered a permanent for a birthday gift and I went for it about 3 PM."
Dec. 10: "Needlepoint until lunch. A short rest, then just after 1 a trip to San Marcos, Escondido and around….After supper a group of three women and six or seven children from the church came in to sing Christmas carols for us. Later on Ralph and I played dominoes. I guess it’s bedtime, they just left."
Dec. 11: "Suzanne took me to the women’s meeting. They fellowshipped until lunch. They had special setting of tables. I got to stay for after meeting. A young mom sang for us. It was all very nice. Suzie came for me after 2."
Dec. 12: "Julia just left for Senior Citizens party. Grace and I played dominoes until after 10."
Dec. 13: "Julia gone out for dinner with woman friend. Spent evening reading, walking and watching TV."
Dec. 14: "After lunch a short nap. Then a ride to the Plaza. Wait. Back home and to Big Bear. Wait. Arrived home at 5 PM."
Dec. 17: "Grace’s day off. Working on needlepoint. Just before 3 had a ride to town for Julia’s blood pressure and to the post office to deposit my Christmas mail."
Dec. 18: "Grace came home to say she is going to the Doctor Saturday. That’s the day of the birthday party and we need her here…..Susie came after lunch. I worked until near 3, then rode with her to the stationary store. She forgot something and had to come home. Then I rode to the post office….Julia and Susie went away for the evening."
Dec. 19: "Up for bath. When I came out for breakfast Julia and Suzanne greeted me with a “Happy Birthday” salute. Usual reading. Worked on needlepoint. After lunch around 1:30 came Sister Johnston, President of “Women’s Ministry,” with a card from the group and a poinsettia plant."
Dec. 20: "Up and going. Today is birthday party for Suzanne and I, 17th and 19th, and Grace left early about 8 the day we needed her the most. There were over 30 attended and it was all very nice."
Dec. 21: "Suzanne helped me get dressed and ready to go to church. Ralph came for me and brot me home….At 5:45 went to evening service, a program of song in which Merle and Kay were in. Got home at 8, were invited to Esther’s for dinner and went over there. Meal over by 9 and we are home before 10. I was so thankful to get to a Sunday nite service."
Dec. 22: "Up for a bath after a night of pain until 4 AM….Sorting mail. Cutting off canceled stamps. Lunch."
Dec. 23: "Up and going after the best nite’s sleep I’ve had in six years. After breakfast usual reading."
Dec. 24: "Grace left about 8, will be back Friday morning. Usual reading of Scriptures. Worked needlepoint until noon. While eating a neighbor came in with her two boys and a neighbor boy to greet us and invite us to her home this evening. About 2 came Pastor Webber with a lovely plant and a gift of a New Testament in modern speech from .. We were invited to neighbor Penman to come in evening.. We went before 8 and came home at 9. They had about a dozen clocks on their walls. Ralph and Esther came by with Sees candy and a neck chain with a pen attached and a fruitcake from Kay."
Dec. 25: "We were supposed to go to Audrey’s. Flu has come among them so we may not go. Some have fever. So Julia and I have been alone here all day. About 1 we went to get coffee, finally fond a store that was open. So we had lunch about 2 and supper at 6. I finished my needlepoint job and did a lot of reading and walking. Julia went with me to the lagoon. Been a nice quiet day. I don’t remember having a Christmas Day like this. Always we went somewhere and someone came. After supper I had a game of transograms."
Dec. 26: "Gracie came home before I was up. I was so surprised."
Dec. 27: "When all was finished and dishes done Julia came and Susie with her. They brot my gift from down in San Diego. After that Suzanne and I had a game of transograms."
Dec. 29: "Grace came home early this morning. I was so surprised."
Dec. 30: "Dressed in a tan-colored dress (beautiful) I never saw before. Then off to Merle Calkins marriage to Kay Nardi. All very interesting. After the ceremony was served a good dinner. The wedding in Kay’s home in Vista. Arrived home before 10 PM."
Dec. 31: "Up for bath. Grace left soon after….About 4 came Audrey, Tina and Machelle on their way to Ariel’s. Also came Pastor Nelson. They sat in the kitchen and most of the talk was Bro. Nelson and Audrey. They left around 5 and Susie left with Audrey. So Julia and I are alone."